Paul McShane has had an exploratory operation on the ankle injury sustained in last week’s game against Southampton and although it has confirmed that the defender will miss the rest of the season, the results were as good as they could be according to manager Steve Bruce.
Monday’s operation confirmed there was no feared micro-fracture to the ankle and McShane will have further surgery in a fortnight on the ligament damage sustained.
“The operation was as good as it could be,” said Bruce.
“He had that on Monday and he’ll have a major operation in two weeks’ time, but the news is as good as we could have hoped for considering the damage to the ligaments.
“He hasn’t got a micro-fracture so the doctor has told me, so it’s as good news as we could have had, but he’s still going to be out for a long time.
“He won’t play again this season and we’re hoping that he’ll be back for the start of next season, but until the next operation it’s still a doubt.”