Skip to main content

Reserves Bag Big Win


16:05 10th September 2013

Trialists on target as Tigers thrash Doncaster....

Trialists Matthew Fletcher and Conor Henderson were both on the scoresheet as Hull City Reserves claimed a 4-0 victory over Doncaster Rovers at the Keepmoat Stadium on Tuesday afternoon.

There were seven changes to the Tigers side that lost 3-1 to Mansfield Town in their previous game and Steve Bruce was in the stands to watch as Eldin Jakupovic, Abdoulaye Faye and Nick Proschwitz were all given a run out in the City side. Max Clark and James Armstrong also came into the starting line up.

Rovers had the first chance of the game but Mark Duffy’s shot was beaten out by Jakupovic. 

City’s first chance fell to Matty Dixon from a Fletcher lay off but his shot was deflected for a corner. 

Will Aimson almost gave City the lead when he met a Henderson corner but his header was cleared off the line by Evan Finnegan. 

The Tigers took the lead in the 24th minute when Dixon and Sam Topliss combined down the right and from the full back’s cross Fletcher was left with a simple header from a couple of yards out. 

The second goal came in the 37th minute when Proschwitz was fouled outside the box and Henderson curled the free kick into the bottom corner with his left foot. 

Fletcher almost added another right on half time but his left foot strike was kept out by Rovers keeper Jon Maxted diving low to his left to push the ball away.

Half Time: Doncaster Rovers Reserves 0 Hull City Reserves 2

The hosts went close to pulling a goal back five minutes after the break when Lewis Ferguson crossed from the right and Duffy’s header was blocked by Topliss. The rebound also fell to Duffy but his shot was tipped away by Jakupovic. 

City went three up in the 53rd minute when Armstrong’s well struck left foot shot was pushed away by the diving Maxted. The rebound fell to Proschwitz and from an acute angle the German striker found the back of the net with the help of a slight deflection off a Rovers defender. 

Doncaster almost replied immediately when one former Tiger, Billy Paynter, pulled the ball back for another, James Harper, but he drove his shot wide. 

Duffy went close with a shot from halfway after spotting Jakupovic off his line but his effort went wide and the City keeper then had to be alert to keep out Duffy’s free kick which evaded everyone in the box and almost crept in at the near post. 

City centre back Faye completed more than an hour before being replaced by Ben Clappison. 

David Syers shot high and wide as Doncaster sought to get back into the game before Maxted had to go low to his left to keep out Henderson’s shot. 

A fine passing move in the 83rd minute involving many players culminated in City’s fourth goal as Armstrong’s pass gave Fletcher the chance to slot a left foot shot low past Maxted and complete the Reserves' first win of the season.

Doncaster Rovers: Jon Maxted, Paul Quinn (Andy Griffin 46), Jordan Binns, Liam Wakefield, Evan Finnegan, Lewis Ferguson (Harry Middleton 60), James Harper, David Syers, Mark Duffy, Alex Peterson, Billy Paynter.

Subs Not Used: Jack McClaren, Josh Meade, Chris Whincop, Scott Brown.

Hull City: Eldin Jakupovic, Sam Topliss, Max Clark, Matty Dixon, Will Aimson, Abdoulaye Faye (Ben Clappison 67), Calaum Jahraldo-Martin (Danny Chambers 50), Conor Henderson, Matthew Fletcher, James Armstrong, Nick Proschwitz (Jack Barlow 77).

Subs Not Used: Joe Cracknell, Sam O’Connor, Dougie Wilson.

    Related Articles