Skip to main content

Tigers Held At Home


21:42 19th April 2013


Hull City  0
Bristol City  0

Hull City missed the opportunity to put one foot in the Premier League on Friday night as they were held to a 0-0 draw by Bristol City at the KC Stadium.

A frustrating night for the Tigers saw them control possession but create little in the way of goal-scoring opportunities as the race for promotion continues.

Steve Bruce made two changes to his side as a fit-again Gedo and Matty Fryatt started in place of Robert Koren and Ahmed Fathi.

Fryatt, on his first league start of the season, almost had a dream start when a low cross picked him out in the opening minute, but he was eventually crowded out by the visiting defence.

The visitors threatened for the first time in the tenth minute when a deep cross from Neil Kilkenny caused problems and was defended at the cost of a corner, which when cleared was volleyed high over the bar.

In truth, it was a tense opening which saw the Tigers enjoy plenty of possession but without really opening up the opposition.

An enterprising run from Jack Hobbs threatened the away back line on 20 minutes, but a neat one-two with Brady was snuffed out for a corner which passed all the way through the penalty area untouched.

Brady tried his luck from 20 yards a few moments later, but his effort was just wide.

The home side continued to control the game and when Brady’s attempted pass was deflected into the path of Quinn in the 37th minute, he lifted a shot over the bar.

The Tigers were looking a bit more of a threat as the game neared half time and Gedo was unlucky to see a header from a Quinn cross sail over.

Half Time: Tigers 0-0 Bristol City

Bristol City had the first effort at goal in the second half, but David Stockdale easily saved Albert Adomah’s tame shot.

Adomah tested Stockdale with a more powerful shot just before the hour, and it was the home side’s inability to string together any positive passing that was causing the crowd concern.

A foul on Quinn 20 yards out at least offered the Tigers a chance to be a threat in the 66th minute. Brady took it, but fired a tame effort straight at goalkeeper Tom Heaton.

A double substitution followed as Simpson and Nick Proschwitz replaced Gedo and Fryatt.

Quinn had claims for a penalty waved away ten minutes from time after he appeared to be bundled over in the box.

The home side’s final change came four minutes from time when a dazed James Chester was replaced by Liam Rosenior.

The chance the Tigers were so desperate for arrived during four minutes of added time and it fell to David Meyler, but his powerful left-footed shot was repelled by Heaton.

And so all eyes now turn to Vicarage Road on Saturday afternoon.

Tigers: David Stockdale, Ahmed Elmohamady, James Chester (Liam Rosenior 86), Abdoulaye Faye, Jack Hobbs, Robbie Brady, David Meyler, Stephen Quinn, George Boyd, Gedo (Jay Simpson 67), Matty Fryatt (Nick Proschwitz 67).

Subs Not Used: Eldin Jakupovic, Paul McShane, Ahmed Fathi, Tom Cairney.

Bristol City: Tom Heaton, Richard Foster, Lewin Nyatanga, Sam Baldock (Brian Howard 90), Neil Kilkenny, Liam Kelly, Steven Davies (Wes Burns 90), Greg Cunningham, Brendan Moloney, Albert Adomah (Paul Anderson 86), Matthew Bates.

Subs Not Used: Dean Gerken, Mark Wilson, Louis Carey, Toby Ayala.

Referee: Mr M. Oliver.

Attendance: 18,595 (98 Bristol City fans).

    Related Articles