Hull City

Back In Time: Duffy Grabs Extra-Time Winner

13 August 2019
Ahead of this evening’s Carabao Cup clash with Tranmere Rovers, we take a look at the only ever meeting between the two sides in the competition…

Darryl Duffy’s spectacular extra-time winner booked Hull City’s spot in the second round of the then-named Carling Cup at the expense of Tranmere Rovers – also securing Phil Parkinson’s first win in charge of the Tigers in the process.

Tranmere were comfortably in control of the first round tie over the first 45 minutes and led through a 31st-minute header from skipper Shane Cansdell-Sherriff. But the break enabled Parkinson to re-organise and re-motivate his side. And they were a far different proposition after the break as goals from Ben Burgess and Duffy secured the win.

Rovers took a deserved yet controversial lead when ex-Tiger Kevin Ellison swung a looping corner to the back post for Cansdell-Sherriff to head home from six yards with Tigers keeper Boaz Myhill stranded. However, Michael Turner thought he had cleared the ball off the line but referee Jonathan Moss ruled it had already crossed despite his assistant failing to flag.

The Tigers went into the break behind but regrouped and got themselves back on level terms 11 minutes after the restart. Ryan France’s cross from the right was delivered with pace and accuracy and Ben Burgess – on his first start of the 2006/07 season – found space amongst the defenders at the far post to direct a firm downward header past Ward.

Stuart Elliott saw a powerful header kept out by Ward three minutes as the Tigers began to exert some pressure on the visitors’ goal before the custodian saved smartly again when denying Dean Marney.

Neither side could find an all-important second goal though, ensuring the tie went to extra-time – where Duffy proved to be the match-winner. The Scottish striker latched on to fellow replacement Jon Parkin’s 110th-minute knockdown and fired a fantastic 25-yard strike into the top right-hand corner leaving Tranmere goalkeeper Gavin Ward with no chance – much to the delight of the majority of the 6,075 fans inside the KCOM Stadium.