Hull City

Back In Time: Three Memorable Games Against Cardiff City

26 September 2019
With the Tigers hosting Cardiff City at the KCOM Stadium this weekend, we take a look at three memorable meetings with the Bluebirds.

Final Day Drama (2013)
Hull City secured promotion to the Premier League as a 2-2 draw with Cardiff City proved to be enough on a dramatic final afternoon of the season.

With Cardiff having already claimed the Championship title, the second automatic promotion place would be claimed by either the Tigers or Watford. Steve Bruce’s side went into the final day with the upper hand, and just needed to match Watford’s result against Leeds United for the celebrations to begin.

A cagey first half ensued before disaster struck as Cardiff took the lead courtesy of substitute Fraizer Campbell, who returned to haunt the home fans with a low finish past David Stockdale.

The Tigers hit back with two goals in the space of five minutes as Nick Proschwitz converted a Stephen Quinn cross and Paul McShane met Robbie Brady’s corner to set Bruce’s men on course.

Proschwitz saw a late penalty saved before promotion was thrown into jeopardy when Cardiff netted a spot kick of their own in added time for 2-2.

At that stage Watford were drawing 1-1 and needed just one goal to snatch second place, with a full 16 minutes remaining following a serious injury to their goalkeeper. As it was, Leeds scored a winner and the KCOM Stadium could celebrate, providing unforgettable scenes at the KCOM Stadium.

Perfect Response As Tigers Thrash Cardiff (2006)
Hull City were in desperate need of a boost when they hosted Cardiff City with the midway point of the 2006/07 season approaching.

Manager Phil Parkinson had been relieved of his duties a couple of weeks earlier and the Tigers had claimed just a solitary point from their previous five games to leave them languishing near the foot of the Championship table.

With Phil Brown in caretaker charge of the side, the Club made a considerable effort to fill the KCOM and more than 23,000 fans turned up to witness the start of a rescue act.

A lightening quick start saw Damien Delaney and Dean Marney score inside the first ten minutes, with Craig Fagan adding a third before the break.

Michael Chopra pulled one back for Cardiff after half time, but Michael Bridges completed the scoring to secure a resounding 4-1 win.

Reflecting on the win, Brown said: “The chairman went on record saying he wanted attacking football and we have kept our side of the bargain.

“The players were motivated to go out and give Cardiff a hard game. We haven’t been free-scoring so this is a fantastic achievement.

“I know what these players are capable of and if we stay together we can get out of this situation.

“The chairman is a quality man who has the future of Hull City at heart. He wants to build for the future and hopefully I’ll be a part of it.”

‘Sticks’ Makes Instant Impression (1995)
When Ian Ormondroyd arrived at Boothferry Park, on loan from Leicester City, in January 1995, he certainly made an impression; then again, at six foot five inches tall, he could hardly fail to!

He became the tallest player ever to represent the Tigers in either League or Cup – although the arrival of Kevin Francis some five years later raised that particular bar by a couple of inches.

Nicknamed ‘Sticks’ – naturally – Ormondroyd also made a big impression during his league debut against Cardiff City at Boothferry Park in February 1995.

A 4-0 win for the Tigers was their best result against the Bluebirds in the history of past meetings and two goals from Ormondroyd – with Warren Joyce and Linton Brown also on the scoresheet – not only played a major part in securing that victory, but also put him in a very select group of Hull City debutants who’ve marked their debut by scoring more than once.