Hull City

Report: Birmingham City 3-3 Hull City

10 November 2018
A fine second half fightback from Hull City wasn’t quite enough to secure all three points as they drew 3-3 with Birmingham City at St Andrew’s on Saturday.

The Tigers had given themselves a mountain to climb after two defensive lapses handed the Blues a 2-0 half time lead, but climb the mountain they did as Fraizer Campbell continued his scoring streak with two goals to bring his side level. Kamil Grosicki’s stunning free kick saw the tables turned completely, but Che Adams hit a late equaliser for the hosts to round off an entertaining game.

Unsurprisingly, Nigel Adkins named the same eleven that started last weekend’s victory over West Bromwich Albion with the only change in the squad coming on the bench where Ondrej Mazuch replaced young midfielder Max Sheaf.

Birmingham had the first chance of the afternoon as Jota carried the ball all the way from his own half to the edge of the penalty area before dragging a low shot wide of the post.

Jarrod Bowen, who started the game on the left, responded by winning the Tigers a corner but although Grosicki’s deep delivery found Jackson Irvine at the far post, Campbell was pulled up for a foul in the middle.

Tommy Elphick picked up an early yellow card for a late challenge in centre field before Grosicki’s low cross almost picked out Campbell and Bowen, having swapped wings, curled a left-footed effort just wide of Lee Camp’s right-hand upright.

However, a disastrous moment for Elphick handed Birmingham the lead in the 21st minute. A back-pass towards David Marshall fell horribly short and Adams nipped in to round the goalkeeper and finish from close range.

Bowen almost produced an instant reply but his low shot was pushed wide by Camp while Markus Henriksen sliced wide from 20 yards after promising work by Eric Lichaj.

Irvine was the second player into the referee’s notebook for a tug on Charlie Lakin’s shirt, and there was a second Birmingham goal from a second defensive howler before the break. Jordy de Wijs attempted a pass across his own back line and when it fell short it was again Adams who benefitted, taking possession before sending a low shot past a cruelly exposed Marshall.

The Tigers made a change at half time, introducing striker Chris Martin in place of midfielder Dan Batty, and they pulled a goal back within five minutes of the restart. Martin found Grosicki on the left and he produced a sublime touch before crossing with the outside of his right foot for Campbell to hammer home his third goal in as many games.

Campbell was causing problems for the home side again moments later when he got on the end of a Reece Burke cross, but this time Camp was equal to the striker’s effort.

Adkins’ men were pushing and pushing, though, and they drew level on the hour mark. Grosicki’s deflected shot fell to Bowen and when he was denied by Camp, Campbell was following up to finish from close range.

The equaliser sparked Birmingham back into life and they almost went back in front when a Lukas Jutkiewicz header hit the woodwork.
A fantastic run from Bowen ended with him cutting in from the right and seeing a left-footed shot deflect wide while Grosicki fired an effort just over after cutting in from the opposite flank.

The stunning turnaround was completed on 73 minutes. Burke won the Tigers a free kick in a central position 30 yards out and Grosicki stepped up to send the set-piece into the top corner of Camp’s net for his first goal of the season.

Bowen missed a chance to add a fourth after more great work from Grosicki before a second change saw Will Keane replace Campbell.

A third and final change brought Todd Kane on in place of Grosicki but just a few minutes later Birmingham were level, Adams completing his hat-trick as he fired home from six yards after a deep free kick had been nodded back across goal.

Keane sent an effort just over the bar late on as both sides looked for a winner, but in the end the spoils were shared.

Birmingham City: Lee Camp, Kristian Pedersen, Michael Morrison, Harlee Dean, Maxime Colin, Charlie Lakin (Craig Gardner 64), Maikel Kieftenbeld, Jota (Viv Solomon-Otabor 23 (Wes Harding 64)), Connor Mahoney, Lukas Jutkiewicz, Che Adams.

Subs Not Used: Connal Trueman, Marc Roberts, Beryly Lubala, Omar Bogle.

Hull City: David Marshall, Reece Burke, Tommy Elphick, Jordy de Wijs, Eric Lichaj, Markus Henriksen, Daniel Batty (Chris Martin 46), Jackson Irvine, Jarrod Bowen, Kamil Grosicki (Todd Kane 81), Fraizer Campbell (Will Keane 77).

Subs Not Used: George Long, Ondrej Mazuch, Kevin Stewart, Robbie McKenzie.

Referee: Mr G. Ward.