Hull City

Blackburn Rovers 3-0 Hull City: Report

26 January 2019
Hull City lost in the league for the first time since November 24th as they were beaten 3-0 by Blackburn Rovers at Ewood Park on Saturday.

The damage was done in the opening 18 minutes as goals from Adam Armstrong and Jack Rodwell put Rovers in command and a disappointing performance from the Tigers was punished further when Harrison Reed added to the scoreline in the second half as a ten-match unbeaten run came to an end.

Jarrod Bowen was fit to start having been a fitness doubt earlier in the week, but the Tigers were without centre backs Jordy de Wijs and Reece Burke. Ondrej Mazuch and Robbie McKenzie came into the side.

New loan signing Marc Pugh was included amongst the substitutes, while Blackburn named former Tigers Corry Evans and Danny Graham in their line-up.

Kick-off was preceded by a period of silence in reflection of the disappearance this week of the plane carrying Cardiff City’s new signing Emiliano Sala and pilot David Ibbotson.

Blackburn made the busier start and took a tenth-minute lead when a Bradley Dack pass split Mazuch and Todd Kane for Armstrong to run through and place the ball past David Marshall.

Elliott Bennett saw a shot deflect just over the bar as Rovers continued to make the early running and they doubled their lead 18 minutes in. This time it came from Reed’s in-swinging corner as Rodwell guided a header into the bottom corner of the net.

The Tigers were struggling to get any kind of rhythm together and lost Mazuch to injury before half time. Eric Lichaj came on in his place.

Kamil Grosicki had the visitors’ first effort of the afternoon as the half ticked into added time, Blackburn goalkeeper David Raya making a comfortable save from the Polish international’s 30-yard free kick.

A change at the break saw Fraizer Campbell introduced for Evandro as the striker made his 100th appearance for the Club, but it was the home side who were again quick out of the blocks with Darragh Lenihan glancing a header just over the bar.

Jarrod Bowen’s tame shot was saved by Raya, while Grosicki’s frustration showed as he was booked for a rugby tackle on Lewis Travis. From the resulting free kick, Graham took the ball down inside the box and smacked a shot against the outside of Marshall’s near upright.

Grosicki was soon replaced as Pugh came on to make his debut but it was game over shortly after as Blackburn added a third. Marshall did well to keep out Armstrong’s deflected shot, Stephen Kingsley blocked Reed’s follow-up but the ball fell back to Reed and he delicately lifted it over Marshall and into the net.

The Tigers ended the game with ten men as Bowen limped off in the closing minutes to cap a miserable afternoon.


Blackburn Rovers: David Raya, Harrison Reed (Craig Conway 81), Jack Rodwell, Adam Armstrong (Joe Rothwell 81), Danny Graham (Joe Nuttall 75), Amari’i Bell, Bradley Dack, Darragh Lenihan, Lewis Travis, Corry Evans, Elliott Bennett.

Subs Not Used: Jayson Leutwiler, Derrick Williams, Ritchie Smallwood, Ben Brereton.

Hull City: David Marshall, Todd Kane, Ondrej Mazuch (Eric Lichaj 43), Robbie McKenzie, Stephen Kingsley, Kevin Stewart, Markus Henriksen, Jarrod Bowen, Evandro (Fraizer Campbell 46), Kamil Grosicki (Marc Pugh 66), Chris Martin.

Subs Not Used: George Long, David Milinkovic, Daniel Batty, Lewis Ritson.

Referee: Mr J. Simpson.

Attendance: 13,589 (1,259 Visiting Supporters).