Hull City

Report: Bolton Wanderers 0-1 Hull City

27 October 2018
Hull City earned a much needed win as they beat Bolton Wanderers 1-0 at the University of Bolton Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

Fraizer Campbell scored the only goal of the game just seven minutes in, his third of the season, before the Tigers showed plenty of grit and resilience to make sure they took the three points back to East Yorkshire.

Robbie McKenzie made his first league start as one of four changes to Nigel Adkins’ side following the midweek defeat at Bristol City. Markus Henriksen and Stephen Kingsley returned from injury, with Campbell also coming into the starting eleven. Todd Kane and Chris Martin droped to the bench, while Reece Burke and Jordy de Wijs missed out through injury. It meant a switch to a four-man defence, with McKenzie alongside Tommy Elphick in the centre.

Former Tigers Jack Hobbs and Clayton Donaldson both featured in a Bolton side managed by another with a black and amber past, Phil Parkinson.

Where chances had been created and missed in the last two games, one was created and scored with just seven minutes on the clock as the visitors took an early lead. Jarrod Bowen advanced down the right and slipped the ball into the path of Henriksen’s run into the box, and when his cut-back was dummied by Kamil Grosicki in the middle Campbell was there to apply a low finish.

Elphick produced a great block to deny Bolton striker Christian Doidge a quick leveller, before the Tigers threatened to double their lead when Campbell took aim from 20 yards but his low shot was wide.

Donaldson fired a decent chance high and wide for the hosts after they had broken quickly away from their own penalty area, while a counter-attack from the Tigers led by Jackson Irvine ended with Grosicki curling a shot wide from inside the box.

Bolton went close to drawing level when Donaldson sent a shot into the side-netting after turning neatly inside the area and Marc Wilson headed wide from an Erhun Oztumer free kick just before half time, meaning the Tigers took their lead into the interval.

Marshall made a simple save from Josh Vela’s low shot early in the second half while Irvine was well off target from a Bowen pull-back at the other end.

Grosicki missed a great chance to double the Tigers’ lead on 55 minutes when he fired straight at Ben Alnwick from 12 yards after Bowen had picked the Polish midfielder out beautifully when played in down the left by Kingsley.

Oztumer curled an effort just wide after dancing his way into the box before the Tigers made their first change with 25 minutes remaining as Ondrej Mazuch came on to make his first appearance this season. Bowen was the man to make way as Adkins switched to a back three.

Campbell was booked for kicking the ball away after being penalised for a foul before a second change saw Nouha Dicko replace Grosicki.

Henriksen was the second Tiger to go into the book in as many minutes after a foul near halfway ahead of a final substitution which saw Kevin Stewart come on for Dan Batty.

Bolton knocked plenty of balls up towards the Tigers’ box but the defence stood up to the challenge and recorded the Club’s first win on Bolton soil since 1935.

Bolton Wanderers: Ben Alnwick, Mark Beevers, Josh Vela, Erhun Oztumer, Clayton Donaldson, Christian Doidge, Jack Hobbs, Pawel Olkowski (Josh Magennis 80), Marc Wilson, Joe Williams, Lloyd Dyer (Will Buckley 67).

Subs Not Used: Remi Matthews, Mark Little, Andrew Taylor, Luke Murphy, David Wheater.

Hull City: David Marshall, Eric Lichaj, Tommy Elphick, Robbie McKenzie, Stephen Kingsley, Daniel Batty (Kevin Stewart 80), Markus Henriksen, Jarrod Bowen (Ondrej Mazuch 65), Jackson Irvine, Kamil Grosicki (Nouha Dicko 72), Fraizer Campbell.

Subs Not Used: George Long, Todd Kane, Will Keane, Chris Martin.

Referee: Mr D. Webb.

Attendance: 13,108 (472 Visiting Supporters).