Hull City

Brentford 5-1 Hull City: Report

23 February 2019
Hull City suffered a heavy away defeat as they were beaten 5-1 by Brentford at Griffin Park on Saturday.

Fraizer Campbell had put the Tigers in front in the first half with his 11th goal of the season, but the lead was short-lived as Brentford came storming back to take control before the break.

Todd Kane cames in for Eric Lichaj in the only change to the eleven that started against Rotherham United last time out. Former Tiger Moses Odubajo started for Brentford.

On a glorious sunny afternoon in West London it was the Tigers who made the brighter start and created the game’s first chance after four minutes. A patient move down the left ended with Stephen Kingsley bursting past his man to deliver a deep cross for Evandro who sent a difficult volley wide of the near post.

Said Benrahma fired an effort wide for the home side before David Marshall made his first save of the afternoon when he got down to claim Odubajo’s left-footed effort. Neal Maupay was following up and left a foot in on the goalkeeper, for which the striker was booked.

Brentford looked as though they were starting to get on top, but it was the Tigers who took the lead in the 24th minute. Again it came from a move down the left as Markus Henriksen sent Kamil Grosicki away and when he picked out Campbell with a lovely cross, the striker guided a header into the net.

However, the lead lasted just four minutes. Benrahma’s driving run saw him pick a pass for Kamohelo Mokotjo and he side-footed a shot past a seemingly unsighted Marshall.

Maupay failed to finish Odubajo’s near-post cross from close range as the Bees threatened a second goal, but it was only a temporary let-off as Brentford took the lead in the 33rd minute. Benrahma picked up possession on the edge of the Tigers’ box and danced his way past a couple of players before finding the top corner.

It was 3-1 before half time. The Tigers were guilty of losing possession too easily out wide, allowing Brentford to break forward and Benrahma added his second of the afternoon with another classy finish.

There was a change of goalkeeper at half time as George Long replaced Marshall, who did appear to be limping slightly before the break.

Evandro saw a fine volley pushed over the bar by Brentford keeper Daniel Bentley within ten seconds of the restart and Jarrod Bowen was denied by a good block as the Tigers emerged with plenty of attacking intent.

However, it was game over six minutes in as Brentford added a fourth. Long did well to deny Ollie Watkins, but was powerless when the ball was played into the six-yard box for Maupay to score.

Kane picked up a booking for a foul on Odubajo before Jackson Irvine limped off to be replaced by Reece Burke, a move which saw Robbie McKenzie move into a midfield position.

Grosicki dragged an effort wide before a final change came with 18 minutes remaining as David Milinkovic came on for Campbell.

Henriksen was shown a yellow card for a deliberate trip on Benrahma but the Brentford man had the last laugh as he completed his hat-trick nine minutes from time with a fine curling effort.

Brentford: Daniel Bentley, Moses Odubajo, Sergi Canos, Neal Maupay (Josh Dasilva 72), Ollie Watkins, Kamohelo Mokotjo (Josh McEachran 72), Romaine Sawyers, Said Benrahma (Jan Zamburek 84), Henrik Dalsgaard, Julian Jeanvier, Yoann Barbet.

Subs Not Used: Ellery Balcombe, Chiedozie Ogbene, Mads Bach Sorensen, Nikolaj Kirk.

Hull City: David Marshall (George Long 46), Todd Kane, Robbie McKenzie, Liam Ridgewell, Stephen Kingsley, Markus Henriksen, Jackson Irvine (Reece Burke 59), Jarrod Bowen, Evandro, Kamil Grosicki, Fraizer Campbell (David Milinkovic 72).

Subs Not Used: Eric Lichaj, Marc Pugh, Nouha Dicko, Chris Martin.

Referee: Mr T. Robinson.