Hull City

Bristol City 2-1 Hull City: Report

08 July 2020
Hull City suffered a second second successive away defeat as they were beaten 2-1 by Bristol City on Wednesday evening.

Jamie Paterson was involved in both goals for the hosts, as his first-time pass set-up Famara Diedhiou to steer the hosts ahead before doubling the Robins’ advantage eight minutes into the second half. The Tigers pulled one back through Jordy de Wijs’ glancing header on the hour mark but the hosts held on for the three points.

Grant McCann made three changes from the defeat at West Brom as Callum Elder, Angus MacDonald and James Scott were all included from the off, which resulted in Matthew Pennington and Kevin Stewart dropping to the bench and Martin Samuelsen missing out on a place in the squad altogether.

The first action of the game saw the hosts forced into an early change when, with just 40 seconds on the clock, Nathan Baker picked up a head injury after winning an aerial battle with Mallik Wilks and – following lengthy treatment on the pitch – the centre-back was unable to continue and replaced by Zak Vyner.

The first effort of the game followed when Di√©dhiou fed Nakhi Wells inside the Tigers’ box. The Robins’ striker shifted the ball onto his right foot to create space for a shot, but his strike was off-target and failed to test George Long.

Another lengthy break in-play followed when Jordy de Wijs went down with a head injury following a Bristol City corner but – thankfully – the Tigers’ skipper was fine to continue after receiving treatment.

George Honeyman collected the first yellow card of the evening for a cynical foul on Andreas Weimann as the Robins looked to attack on the counter, although the resulting free-kick came to nothing.

The Tigers carved out their first real opening of the game on 27 minutes. Jon Toral was the spark behind the move, winning the ball in the centre-circle before releasing James Scott. A neat turn saw the winger cut inside onto his right-foot inside the box and only a vital block from Tomas Kalas prevented the Scottish U21 intentional from finding the back of the net.

Scott was played through again five minutes later, although Josh Magennis’ pass sent him wider than he would’ve liked and, from a tight angle, his effort went wide of the target.

However, against the run of play, it was the hosts who broke the deadlock on 41 minutes through Famara Diedhiou. The Robins’ front-man beat the offside trap and produced a composed finish to slot the ball past Long from close-range.

Ten minutes of stoppage-time brought one final chance before the break but Wilks wasn’t able to find the back of the net for a third game running when fired over after breezing his way into the Bristol City box.

McCann made a double change at the break with Tom Eaves and Kevin Stewart introduced into the action. Magennis and Toral were the men to make way for the duo.

Long made a vital save five minutes into the second half, keeping out Nakhi Wells’ low strike from inside the box with his left foot. However, the keeper could do nothing to prevent Bristol City from doubling their lead shortly after. Stewart was penalised for a trip on Diedhiou 25 yards from goal and Jamie Paterson’s fine strike crept in via the underside of the bar.

The Tigers wasted a glorious opportunity to pull a goal back just before the hour mark when Honeyman’s delivery from a free-kick wide on the left wasn’t dealt with by Daniel Bentley. MacDonald sent the ball back into the danger zone but Reece Burke could guide his close-range header over the bar.

It mattered not moments later though as McCann’s men did manage to halve the deficit. Another fine free-kick delivery from Honeyman as met by de Wijs, who sent a glancing header past Bentley and into the bottom right corner of the net.

Wilks was the next try his luck as the Tigers went in search of an equaliser but his low drive from distance was eventually gathered by Bentley before Weimann wasted a decent opportunity at the other end of the pitch when firing over from the edge of the box.

Great hold-up play and an intelligent pass from Eaves almost saw Bowler in on goal but Filip Benkovic produced a vital and well-timed challenge to put the ball behind for a corner, from which MacDonald headed wide from eight yards.

More pressure came from the men on black and amber and when a long throw into the box fell invitingly for Bowler, the substitute’s driven strike was pushed away by Bentley before Wilks fired wide with a wild effort from distance as the game edged towards stoppage-time but there were to be no further opportunities for the visitors.

Bristol City: Daniel Bentley, Jack Hunt, Jay Dasilva, Nathan Baker (Zak Vyner 5), Korey Smith, Famara Diedhiou (Marley Watkins 90), Andreas Weimann (Adam Nagy 74), Jamie Paterson, Nakhi Wells (Benik Afobe 74), Tomas Kalas, Filip Benkovic.

Subs Not Used: Jojo Wollacott, O’Dowda, Niclas Eliasson, Tommy Rowe, Han-Noah Massengo.

Hull City: George Long, Jordy de Wijs (Ryan Tafazolli 1, Reece Burke, Jon Toral (Kevin Stewart 46), Angus MacDonald, George Honeyman, Callum Elder, Josh Magennis (Tom Eaves 46), Leo Da Silva Lopes, Mallik Wilks, James Scott (Josh Bowler 58).

Subs Not Used: Matt Ingram, Ryan Tafazolli, Dan Batty, Sean McLoughlin, Matthew Pennington, Keane Lewis-Potter.

Referee: Gavin Ward