Hull City

Classic Clashes: Hull City 3-1 Liverpool | Dec 2013

22 March 2020
In the absence of regular football, we take a look back at some classic clashes in Hull City history – starting with the Club’s first-ever victory over Liverpool in December 2013.

Hull City produced what was arguably their best performance of the 2013/14 Premier League campaign to register a 3-1 home win over Liverpool.

The Tigers had been known to be difficult to break down in their return to the top-flight and it was no different against the Merseysiders. The home side frustrated the uninspired Reds all afternoon, with Steve Bruce’s men doing well to soak up pressure and keep lone striker Luis Suarez quiet throughout the 90 minutes.

Liverpool pressed in the early stages but were held off well by a steadfast backline, and it was the Tigers that took a surprise lead after 20 minutes through midfielder Jake Livermore – with the 24-year-old’s first goal since 2011. The on-loan Tottenham man was gifted possession by Victor Moses and played a neat one-two before his speculative long-range drive took a deflection and looped over Simon Mignolet in the Liverpool net.

City’s lead lasted a mere seven minutes though, as Steven Gerrard tucked away a clinical free kick after Jordan Henderson had been brought down by Curtis Davies just outside the area.

The home side were arguably the better team in the opening half, but there was no doubt of their dominance after the restart as Liverpool’s poor organisation proved to be their own undoing. The Tigers’ counter-attacking moves tested the Reds’ shaky defence throughout, and Bruce’ tactics worked a treat when his side re-established their lead, David Meyler slotting home from just inside the area in the 70th minute after capitalising on Kolo Toure’s mistake.

And things got worse for the Anfield outfit, whose defensive woes continued as Martin Skrtel nodded Tom Huddlestone’s shot into his own net three minutes from time. The players wearing black and amber mobbed the midfield man – who had been growing his afro for two years for charity, vowing to trim it only when he next found the back of the net – after his chipped shot was diverted into the net by the Slovakian, but with an own goal given, the former England international had to stick his trademark barnet for a little while longer.