Hull City are seeking to recruit an experienced professional and dedicated individual in the role of Sports Scientist.
Salary: £30,000 - £40,000 per annum
Closing date: Monday 26thOctober 2020 at 4.00pm
Location: Hull City Training Ground, Millhouse Woods Lane, Cottingham, HU16 4HB
Reporting to the Head of Medical Services & Performance, the successful candidate will be required to contribute to the development and delivery of individualised programmes for players to complete the physical conditioning expected of the modern-day footballer. As part of this role, the new post holder will also analyse player performance profiles and advice regarding optimal load for both individual players and the team to optimise performance to the standard required for elite sport.
The chosen applicant will use GPS monitoring technology and performance tracking software to evaluate player load in training and games. Although this role is predominantly aimed at service provision to the First Team, additional opportunities will become available to become involved in creating linear processes throughout the Club.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Assist in the Sports Science provision for Hull City.
- Evaluate total player load including training, gym and match play.
- Produce daily training reports providing details of player load for each session completed and put into context of their acute and chronic loads.
- Liaise with International Federations to ensure that player loads are accurately reported and documented during Players time away from the Club on international duty or on loan.
- Contribute to the delivery of programmes including speed, agility, power, stability and mobility, along with any other new areas of innovation in the physical development of players.
- In conjunction with other senior members of staff in the medical and science department, liaise daily with the Technical staff (Head Coach, Assistant Head Coach etc.) about optimal loading for first team players to promote peak performance.
- Continue to promote partnership developments with external providers to seek out the latest innovations in sports science.
- Lead “in-house” and effectively supervise the PhD and MSc student internship programmes liaising closely with the University of Hull to ensure that the placements are effective and produce publications promoting excellence in the field of Sports Science.
- Assist in the delivery and design, in conjunction with the other members of the medical and science department, daily pre-activation and injury risk reduction strategies.
- Incorporate screening protocols into player’s programmes within set cycles (micro or meso cycles) to assess an individual and team’s physical development throughout a macro cycle.
- Assist the Academy staff in their use and interpretation of player physical data
- In conjunction with other support staff, contribute where required, in meetings about performance enhancement and injury risk reduction strategies.
- Attend all first team staff meetings as required.
- Assist and support other members of staff within the Sport Science and Medical department to ensure the smooth running of the support provided to players and coaching staff.
- Report any problems immediately to the Head of Medical & Performance or the next most senior member of staff on duty within the department.
- Contribute to the production of an off-season program in conjunction with the other staff to manage player’s progressive integration back into the pre-season programme.
- Be willing to provide support and guidance to other staff members including the rehab fitness coach and sport science/physical performance interns.
- Be prepared to provide two in service presentations on a subject of your choice per season.
- Maintain all legal and professional qualifications in relation to the position within the Club.
- Actively be involved in an interdisciplinary approach of working within the department that includes close links to all areas of the Club.
- Maintain detailed records for all activities in the department in accordance with relevant legislation, policies and procedures.
- Work in close conjunction with the Head of Medical & Performance to ensure all requirements of a Club’s audit process that are relevant to this role are carried out at the appropriate time.
- Observe, monitor and react to the ever-evolving world of sports science particularly in relation to load monitoring, keeping up to date with current research developments and changes in professional regulations and implement changes. To feedback these observations and recommendations to the medical/sports science team.
- Maintain professional distance from the playing staff at all times and act at all times, in a manner appropriate to be a representative of Hull City.
- Attention to detail a vital attribute.
- Demonstrate a high level of planning and organisation.
- Willingness to work unsociable hours and weekends.
- Understanding of a constantly changing culture/demand.
- Ability to create relationships with players and identified support network to effectively support injury rehabilitation and performance needs
- Ability to work as part of a team and on own initiative
- Excellent interpersonal capabilities, including IT and presentation skills to communicate effectively at all levels
- Dedication to self-improvement and personal development
- Focused on individual player development within a team process
- Willing to follow and promote the Club’s football philosophy
Qualifications & Experience
- BSc Sports Science or Related Field (Essential)
- MSc or higher Degree Sports and Exercise Science (Essential)
- Valid First Aid Certificate / National Sports First Aid Course (Essential)
- Indemnity through professional registration to £5 million liability (Essential)
- Minimum of 5 years post qualification experience (Essential)
- Experience of working within a multi-disciplinary team within a sports medicine environment preferably with adult athletes (Essential)
- Sound understanding of long term athletic development and how load management/sports science strategies integrates within this (Essential)
- PhD in Sports Science (Desirable)
- BASES accredited practitioner (Desirable)
- FA Coaching UEFA B (Desirable)
- Strength and Conditioning Qualification (British Weight Lifting association Level 2/ UKSCA or equivalent) (Desirable)
- Playing experience to a high level (Desirable)
To apply for this role, please send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
Hull City Tigers Ltd are committed to Safeguarding Children and Vulnerable Adults and colleagues are expected to contribute to the delivery of our safeguarding policy and procedures. Some posts may require the employee to undertake an enhanced disclosure check by The Disclosure and Barring Service.
Hull City Tigers Ltd is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion, belief and gender.
Please note we reserve the right to close this advertisement once we have received a satisfactory number of applicants; if you have not been contacted within ten working days of the closing date then you should assume that unfortunately your application has not been shortlisted on this occasion.