Hull City

Disappointing Start For U23s

14 August 2017
Within earshot of the runways at Heathrow Airport the Tigers' Under-23s were unable to get their season off to a flying start when they were beaten 4-1 by Queens Park Rangers at Harlington on Monday afternoon.

Jon Beale’s first line-up of the new season included close season signings James Yates and Liam Edwards, with another two, Harrison Foulkes and Tom Powell amongst the substitutes. Josh Clackstone wore the captain’s armband for the Tigers.

It was the hosts who created all the early chances with Ilias Chair, Sean Goss and Osman Kakay all firing well wide. Michael Petrasso forced Charlie Andrew into a good save before the Tigers’ first chance came when Will Annan released Greg Luer but his low shot was easily held by Rangers keeper Joe Lumley.

Greg Olley fired high and wide for Beale’s side whilst at the other end Andrew had to push Aramide Oteh’s header over the crossbar.

Dan Batty’s long ball appeared to have sent Luer racing clear but a marginal offside decision went against the Tigers.

Rangers opened the scoring in the 31st minute when Eberechi Eze broke through a tackle and curled a right foot shot beyond Andrew from just outside the box.

Andrew had to beat away a low shot from Petrasso as the hosts sought to double their lead but the Tigers drew level in the 38th minute. Tyler Hamilton and Luer combined well on the right and the latter’s cross was aimed for Olley but was turned into his own net by a QPR defender.

Eze almost restored his side’s lead within a minute but his right foot shot curled just over the bar.

As in the first period, Rangers started the second half well with Andrew doing well to deny Oteh. Hamilton then played a one-two with Luer but his right foot shot was straight at Lumley. Olley then fired wide from the edge of the box and at the other end Goss sent a free kick over the bar.

Rangers substitute Reece Grego-Cox headed a good chance over the bar but then crossed from the right for Eze to head his side back into the lead in the 71st minute.

The Tigers went desperately close to a second leveller but Hamilton saw his shot tipped onto the post by Lumley with Ben Hinchliffe firing the rebound wide.

Petrasso then cut in from the left and fired a right foot shot wide before Rangers increased their lead in the 78th minute in slightly controversial circumstances. Goss met a cross from the left and powered a left foot shot past Andrew but the referee’s assistant had his flag up for offside. The referee initially disallowed the goal, then consulted his assistant and awarded the goal.

The hosts then added a fourth goal in the 86th minute when Grego-Cox was upended in the box and Eze stepped forward to complete his hat trick from the penalty spot.

Hamilton cut in from the right and fired a left foot shot high and wide but it was Rangers who ended the game on top and Andrew had to save from both Grego-Cox and Eze in stoppage time.


Queens Park Rangers: Joe Lumley, Osman Kakay, Niko Hamalainen, Charlie Owens, Alex Baptiste, Chris Paul (Giles Phillips 74), Michael Petrasso, Sean Goss, Aramide Oteh (Reece Grego-Cox 63), Eberechi Eze, Ilias Chair (Daniel Rowe 63).

Sub Not Used: Martin Herdman.

Hull City: Charlie Andrew, James Yates, Brandon Fleming, Dan Batty (Ellis Barkworth 81), Lewis Ritson, Josh Clackstone, Tyler Hamilton, Greg Olley, Greg Luer (Ben Hinchliffe 67), Will Annan, Liam Edwards.

Subs Not Used: Harrison Foulkes, Tom Powell, Elliot Holmes.