Hull City

Five | Ten | Fifteen

17 August 2017
In the second part of our new feature for the 2017/18 season, we take a historical look back at notable events involving the boys in black and amber from five, ten and 15 years ago - all of which proved to be memorable campaigns in the Club's history for various reasonsâ?¦

Jay Simpson scored the only goal of the game as the Tigers kicked off their 2012/13 Championship campaign on a winning note against Brighton at the KCOM Stadium.

The game appeared destined for a goalless draw as both sides missed a bucketful of chances, but Simpson – an 80th-minute replacement for Aaron Mclean – lashed the ball high into the roof of the net from inside the penalty area to deny Brighton a share of the points they probably deserved.

Simpson, whose previous goal in a black and amber shirt came against Middlesbrough in April 2011, twice went close to adding a second goal in the 90th minute, only to be denied by Brighton goalkeeper Tomasz Kuszczak before blazing another effort over the crossbar.

Reflecting on his winner, Simpson said: “’Dudge’ drove down the left and then got taken out by the keeper and it looked like a penalty.

“I just saw the ball coming loose and I thought I’d have a go. Thankfully, the referee played the advantage and allowed the goal to stand.

“In terms of the game, you know what you’re going to get when Brighton come to town. They keep the ball well and know how they want to play.

“But we worked on a lot of things in the build-up, like winning the ball high up the pitch and being difficult to play against. It was a difficult game, but we were delighted to get the three points.”

Phil Brown brought a familiar face to the Club when he signed free agent Henrik Pedersen this week in 2007.

The Dane, who had been released by Bolton Wanderers two months earlier, put pen-to-paper on a two-year deal, passing a medical despite concerns over his fitness due to a long-term Achilles injury.

“I want to be a success here,” said Pedersen after joining the club. “It’s a new challenge at a new club – I’m very excited. These are very exciting times for the club and I’m looking forward to being part of it.

“When I came here to look at things, every single person was so ambitious, not just the manager but the chairman as well.

“They want to take this club forward. With the prospects at Hull sounding so good, it was an opportunity I could not turn down.

“I just want to get out and play and show what I can do. At the moment, that is not possible. I just have to be patient because obviously to rush an injury like this could be really bad for me. I’ve already missed too many games. I don’t want to do anything that would put me out for even longer.”

Two days after Pedersen’s arrival, City secured their place in the second round of the league cup as goals from Michael Bridges, Richard Garcia and Stephen McPhee secured a 3-0 win away at Crewe Alexandra.

A goal from former Manchester United midfielder Lee Sharpe and two from Steve Flack condemned Jan Molby’s ten-man Tigers to a 3-1 defeat at St James’ Park.

The home side was in impressive form as they came from 1-0 down for their first win of the season. The Tigers took an early lead when former Exeter striker Gary Alexander’s through ball sent Stuart Green clear to score. But the hosts were back in the game after 21 minutes, Sharpe equalising with a brilliant 15-yard strike.

City’s plight worsened when Green was red-carded in the 41st minute for violent conduct, and they finally went behind just before half-time when a cross from Justin Walker led to Flack bundling the ball into the net.

And immediately after the interval, the impressive James Coppinger crossed for Flack to get his second and wrap the game up for the hosts.