The train pictured arriving on platform one is pulling into Hull City’s own little train station which was located behind the Kempton Stand at Boothferry Park.
Officially opened in January 1951 ahead of an FA Cup tie with Everton (which the Tigers won 2-0 thanks to goals from Raich Carter and Syd Gerrie), it meant that the Club was the only one in the Football League at that time with a direct rail link from city centre to stadium terrace.
A link to the railways continued inside the ground where a Hull City railway engine nameplate was displayed above the player’s tunnel in the West Stand.
These nameplates were a common sight on steam engines through the 1940s and 50s and, when taken out of service, the plate was presented to the Club in 1959. It can now be seen above the tunnel in the West Stand at the KCOM Stadium.