Hull City

Fulham 0-3 Hull City: Report

02 November 2019
Hull City made it three wins in a row with a superb 3-0 success at Fulham on Saturday.

Josh Bowler’s first goal in senior football opened the scoring early on, before second half strikes from Jarrod Bowen and Tom Eaves wrapped up what was arguably the Tigers’ most impressive victory of the season so far.

Grant McCann started with the same eleven that took on Derby County seven days earlier, with just one change coming on the bench where Daniel Batty came back into the squad with Stephen Kingsley missing out.

Former Tiger Tom Cairney captained Fulham.

It was a wet and blustery afternoon at the currently three-sided Craven Cottage and Fulham were left with an injury worry inside the opening minute when left back Joe Bryan collided with Bowler.

With Bryan off receiving treatment, and ultimately having to be replaced, the Tigers created their first chance of the game as Jarrod Bowen cleverly found Kamil Grosicki but his effort was kept out by goalkeeper Marcus Bettinelli.

The Tigers had started brightly and took the lead in the ninth minute. Grosicki played the ball back to Callum Elder to swing over a lovely cross and when Bowler’s first effort at the far post was blocked, he was the first to react to fire into the net.

Fulham responded with a couple of dangerous low crosses that flashed across the face of goal, but Grosicki soon had the home side on the back foot again with a burst down the left and a pull-back for Jon Toral who saw his shot blocked.

George Long got down well to keep out a low Aleksandar Mitrovic effort with half-an-hour played, while Harrison Reed was booked after taking down Toral from behind.

Jackson Irvine also picked up a caution before the break for a deliberate trip on Stefan Johansen, with Mitrovic heading just wide from a corner in the last of the first half action.

Fulham emerged from the interval with plenty of attacking intent, with the introduction of Anthony Knockaert seeming to liven them up.
The Tigers made their own change soon after the restart as Eaves replaced Bowler.

It was a change that saw Bowen move out wide and within a couple of minutes he doubled his side’s lead. Irvine was the man that sent him away and after twisting and shimmying inside the box, he found the far corner of the net with a right-footed finish.

A second change by McCann saw Kevin Stewart come on for Toral before Grosicki had a chance to make it three but he fired wide of the near post.

Bowen also sent an effort off target after running straight at the heart of the Fulham backline, while Johansen was booked for the most deliberate of trips on Grosicki as he led a quick counter-attack.

Despite being two goals up, there was no sitting back from the Tigers and they added a third goal six minutes from time. Bowen went straight down the middle again and when his effort was stopped by Bettinelli, Eaves followed up to knock the ball into the net and cap a fantastic afternoon in the Capital.

Fulham: Marcus Bettinelli, Denis Odoi (Aboubakar Kamara 61), Alfie Mawson, Stefan Johansen, Aleksandar Mitrovic, Tom Cairney, Tim Ream, Bobby Decordova-Reid (Anthony Knockeart 46), Ivan Cavaleiro, Harrison Reed, Joe Bryan (Maxime Le Marchand 6).

Subs Not Used: Magnus Norman, Kevin McDonald, Josh Onomah, Steven Sessegnon.

Hull City: George Long; Eric Lichaj ©, Reece Burke, Jordy de Wijs, Callum Elder; Leonardo Da Silva Lopes, Jackson Irvine (George Honeyman 88), Jon Toral (Kevin Stewart 63); Josh Bowler (Tom Eaves 54), Kamil Grosicki, Jarrod Bowen.

Subs Not Used: Matt Ingram, Ryan Tafazolli, Daniel Batty, Matthew Pennington.

Referee: Mr K. Stroud.

Attendance: 18,168.