Hull City

Huddersfield Town 3-0 Hull City: Report

05 October 2019
Hull City’s five-match unbeaten run in the Sky Bet Championship came to an end on Saturday as they lost 3-0 to Huddersfield Town at the John Smith’s Stadium.

For a long time, it looked as though neither side would make the breakthrough but Huddersfield took their chances during the final 25 minutes to take all three points.

Grant McCann’s starting eleven showed two changes to the side that began against Sheffield Wednesday in midweek. Tom Eaves’ match-winning exploits saw him promoted back into the team ahead of Josh Magennis in attack, while Daniel Batty came in for Jackson Irvine in midfield.

Former Tiger Fraizer Campbell was on the bench for Huddersfield but Tommy Elphick, who spent a period on loan at the KCOM Stadium last season, started for the Terriers.

Backed by close to 2,000 travelling fans, McCann’s side would have been looking to make a fast start but it was Huddersfield that threatened first when Karlan Grant broke the offside trap, however George Long was off his line quickly to make a vital intervention.

There was a fair bit of early pressure for the visitors to soak up, with the home side looking particularly threatening down their right, but there were no further chances in the opening 20 minutes.

The Tigers’ first real chance came 29 minutes in following a fine run down the left from Brandon Fleming. His low cross found George Honeyman inside the box but he couldn’t get enough on his shot to beat Huddersfield goalkeeper Kamil Grabara.

Jarrod Bowen’s run through the middle earned his side a free kick, and Huddersfield’s Jonathan Hogg a booking, 30 yards from goal. Kamil Grosicki stepped up and produced an effort that grazed the roof of the net as it flew just over the bar.

Long made a decent save to keep out Jaden Brown’s low shot and also turned Grant’s deflected effort wide, while Eaves saw a powerful drive beaten away by Grabara as the half ended goalless.

There was little action of note during the early stages of the second half ahead of a double change from the Tigers as Josh Bowler and Leonardo Da Silva Lopes replaced Honeyman and Batty, with Bowen moving into a more central position.

Huddersfield broke the deadlock in the 68th minute. Some neat play around the edge of the box resulted in the ball falling nicely for Grant to find the bottom corner.

And a second goal followed six minutes later as Town doubled their lead. Adama Diakhaby’s break down the right ended with a ball in for substitute Juninho Bacuna to fire past Long.

McCann threw Magennis on before Bowler brought a save out of Grabara, but any hopes of a fightback were ended eight minutes from time when Huddersfield struck for a third time as Elias Kachunga slid in to finish at the far post.

Huddersfield Town: Kamil Grabara, Tommy Elphick, Jonathan Hogg (Juninho Bacuna 67), Trevoh Chalobah (Jon Gornec Stankovic 75), Elias Kachunga, Adama Diakhaby (Fraizer Campbell 77), Karlan Grant, Danny Simpson, Christopher Schindler, Jaden Brown, Lewis O’Brien.

Subs Not Used: Ryan Schofield, Isaac Mbenza, Steve Mounie, Florent Hadergjonaj.

Hull City: George Long; Eric Lichaj ©, Reece Burke, Jordy de Wijs, Brandon Fleming; Kevin Stewart, Daniel Batty (Leonardo Da Silva Lopes 58), George Honeyman (Josh Bowler 58); Jarrod Bowen, Kamil Grosicki (Josh Magennis 75), Tom Eaves.

Subs Not Used: Matt Ingram, Ryan Tafazolli, Norbert Balogh, Matthew Pennington.

Referee: Mr D. Webb.

Attendance: 21,702.