Hull City

Hull City 0-1 Barnsley: Report

26 February 2020
Hull City’s disappointing run of form continued as they were beaten 1-0 by Barnsley at the KCOM Stadium on Wednesday night.

Cauley Woodrow scored the only goal of the game just before half time as the Tigers’ wait for a first league win since New Year’s Day continues.

Grant McCann made four changes to the side that started against Preston North End last weekend. With Mallik Wilks unable to feature against his parent club, Marcus Maddison stepped up from the bench to claim a place in the starting eleven. Jon Toral, Kevin Stewart and Robbie McKenzie were also starters with Tom Eaves and Reece Burke absent and George Honeyman dropping to the bench.

Martin Samuelsen returned from injury to take a place on the bench, with Stephen Kingsley and Daniel Batty also coming into the squad.

There was little between the two sides in the early stages although Toral, playing down the left, produced some nice play before firing a ball across the face of goal as the Tigers showed their first attacking threat.

Matt Pennington made an important block from Conor Chaplin’s shot from the edge of the box before the home side saw appeals for a penalty turned down when Maddison went down inside the area.

Luke Thomas had a good chance for Barnsley as he dribbled his way past the home defence before slicing wide of the near post, and the winger then saw an effort cleared off the line by Pennington in the 32nd minute.

Barnsley were looking dangerous and George Long did well to turn Chaplin’s shot wide as the half entered its final ten minutes.

Josh Magennis saw his effort pushed past the post by Brad Collins as the visiting goalkeeper made his first save of the night, but it was Barnsley that took the lead three minutes before the break as Woodrow made the most of Long’s fumble to poke in from close range.

Long went some way towards making up for that error by denying Jacob Brown as the visitors went close to making it two goals in as many minutes, but there was much work for McCann’s men to do in the second half.

A double change during the interval saw Samuelsen and Honeyman come on to replace Maddison and Toral.

Jackson Irvine picked up an early booking for a late challenge on halfway before a third and final change was forced on McCann as Jordy de Wijs pulled up and had to be replaced by Sean McLoughlin.

Samuelsen’s header from McKenzie’s deep cross was pushed wide as the home side threatened for the first time in the second half while Irvine turned a difficult chance past the post from Callum Elder’s ball in.

Pennington made his second goal-line clearance of the night as he denied substitute Marcel Ritzmaier while at the other end, Irvine’s header was tipped over by Collins.

McLoughlin glanced a header wide late on as the visitors stayed firm to take all three points.

Hull City: George Long; Robbie McKenzie, Matthew Pennington, Jordy de Wijs (Sean McLoughlin 53), Callum Elder; Kevin Stewart, Leonardo Da Silva Lopes, Jackson Irvine; Marcus Maddison (Martin Samuelsen 46), Jon Toral (George Honeyman 46), Josh Magennis.

Subs Not Used: Matt Ingram, Daniel Batty, Stephen Kingsley, Norbert Balogh.

Barnsley: Brad Collins; Jordan Williams, Aapo Halme, Michael Sollbauer, Clarke Odour (Kilian Ludewig 46); Luke Thomas (Ben Williams 74), Alex Mowatt, Mike Bahre (Marcel Ritzmaier 51), Jacob Brown; Conor Chaplin, Cauley Woodrow.

Subs Not Used: Jack Walton, Kenny Dougall, Patrick Schmidt, Elliot Simoes.

Referee: Mr D. Coote.

Attendance: 10,272.