Hull City

Hull City 0-1 Fulham: Report

11 January 2020
Hull City were beaten 1-0 by Fulham at the KCOM Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

Ivan Cavaleiro bagged the only goal of the game during the first half from Fulham’s only shot on target before frustrating the hosts during the second 45 minutes.

After making his debut in the cup win at Rotherham United last weekend, Herbie Kane was handed his first Hull City league start as part of Grant McCann’s midfield line-up. Matthew Pennington started for a second successive league game at right back with skipper Eric Lichaj playing on the left, while cup hat-trick hero Tom Eaves continued up front.

Former Hull City midfielder Tom Cairney was on the Fulham bench, while former Tigers loanee Michael Hector started for the visitors after recently completing a move from Chelsea.

It was a fairly quiet opening from both sides as they looked to knock the ball around on a blustery afternoon, with the best of the early moments coming from Jackson Irvine who delivered a great ball in from deep but it was just too long for Eaves and Kamil Grosicki at the far post.

Kane’s ball over the top then almost had Irvine through on goal but, again, it proved just too long before Grosicki dragged a low shot wide after cutting in from the left.

However, it was Fulham that took the lead in the 29th minute from their first real attack of note. A block on the edge of the Tigers’ box fell invitingly for Cavaleiro and he curled a delightful effort past George Long and into the far corner.

The visitors went on to control the remainder of the half, frustrating the home side’s attempts to get the ball wide to Grosicki and Jarrod Bowen.

Eaves chased down what looked like a lost cause early in the second half to set up a chance for Grosicki who opted to look for a pass that wasn’t on rather than shoot, while at the other end a Bobby Decordova-Reid shot was deflected just wide.

A first substitution saw George Honeyman replace Kane just after the hour mark before Bowen picked up a booking for a foul on Denis Odoi.
There was a change in shape as Keane Lewis-Potter came on for Reece Burke with 20 minutes still remaining, while Fulham’s Cavaleiro and Aleksandar Mitrovic were booked for fouls on Bowen.

Eaves headed wide from a deep Jordy de Wijs cross before Mitrovic was stretchered from the field after twice going down for treatment.

A final change saw Josh Bowler come on for Irvine as time ticked away, although Fulham’s efforts to run the clock down resulted in six minutes being added on.

Bowen was denied by Marek Rodak and Eaves saw a goal-bound effort blocked during those extra moments, before a goal was ruled out right at the death for offside.

Hull City: George Long; Matthew Pennington, Reece Burke (Keane Lewis-Potter 70), Jordy de Wijs, Eric Lichaj; Leonardo Da Silva Lopes, Herbie Kane (George Honeyman 61), Jackson Irvine (Josh Bowler 84); Jarrod Bowen, Kamil Grosicki, Tom Eaves.

Subs Not Used: Matt Ingram, Ryan Tafazolli, Daniel Batty, Brandon Fleming.

Fulham: Marek Rodak; Denis Odoi, Tim Ream, Michael Hector, Cyrus Christie; Kevin McDonald, Josh Onomah, Ivan Cavaleiro (Harry Arter 86); Anthony Knockaert (Alfie Mawson 90), Bobby Decordova-Reid, Aleksandar Mitrovic (Joe Bryan 80).

Subs Not Used: Magnus Norman, Stefan Johansen, Tom Cairney, Jay Stansfield.

Referee: Mr M. Donohue.

Attendance: 11,347.