Hull City Tigers

Report: Hull City 0-1 Leeds United

02 October 2018
Hull City were beaten 1-0 by Yorkshire rivals Leeds United at the KCOM Stadium on Tuesday night.

The Tigers produced another battling display similar to the one that had seen them earn a draw against Middlesbrough last weekend, but this time there was no way back once they fell behind to Welsh international Tyler Roberts’ strike early in the second half.

Nigel Adkins made one enforced change to his starting eleven following the weekend draw with Middlesbrough as Stephen Kingsley came in for the injured Jordy de Wijs. Daniel Batty returned to the squad after a knee injury to take a place on the bench, but there was no goalkeeper amongst the substitutes with illness keeping George Long out of the squad.

Roberts saw the first shot of the evening deflect wide before Mat Klich was just off target from the edge of the box as Leeds made the brighter start.

The Tigers then enjoyed a decent little spell of their own with Reece Burke sending an ambitious effort over the bar and Kamil Grosicki creating a half-chance with a good set-piece delivery which the Leeds defence just about managed to clear.

An injury blow came with 28 minutes played as Jackson Irvine limped off to be replaced by Kevin Stewart just before Grosicki had a half-chance as he beat Leeds goalkeeper Bailey Peacock-Farrell to the ball inside the area but was crowded out before he could get a decent shot away.

The change had resulted in a change in shape with the Tigers changing from a back five to a back four, and a midfield three of Todd Kane, Markus Henriksen and Stewart.

Leeds had a big chance when Roberts cleverly flicked the ball into Ezgjan Alioski’s path inside the area but the shot went across the face of goal and wide, while Luke Ayling headed over from close range after Liam Cooper had nodded a corner down invitingly.

Another good chance went the way of the visitors late in the half but Barry Douglas sent it wide as the sides went into the break on level terms.

A brilliant defensive header from Eric Lichaj denied Roberts a simple header at goal early in the second half, but Roberts would get his goal in the 51st minute as he fired a low drive home from 25 yards.

Samuel Saiz went down looking for a penalty a few minutes later but only earned himself a yellow card for simulation.

Tommy Elphick headed just wide from a free kick before a double change saw Fraizer Campbell and Nouha Dicko replace Chris Martin and Grosicki.

Despite the attacking changes an equaliser never really looked likely, although Dicko did at least force Peacock-Farrell into a save with a flicked effort late on with the Tigers’ final chance of the night.


Hull City: David Marshall, Todd Kane, Reece Burke, Tommy Elphick, Eric Lichaj, Stephen Kingsley, Markus Henriksen, Jackson Irvine (Kevin Stewart 28), Jarrod Bowen, Kamil Grosicki (Nouha Dicko 64), Chris Martin (Fraizer Campbell 64).

Subs Not Used: Daniel Batty, Will Keane, Adam Curry, Robbie McKenzie.

Leeds United: Bailey Peacock-Farrell, Luke Ayling, Barry Douglas (Jamie Shackleton 82), Liam Cooper, Ezgjan Alioski, Tyler Roberts, Samuel Saiz (Adam Forshaw 74), Pontus Jansson, Jack Harrison (Stuart Dallas 74), Kalvin Phillips, Mateusz Klich.

Subs Not Used: Jamal Blackman, Tom Pearce, Lewis Baker, Jack Clarke.

Referee: Mr D. Bond.

Attendance: 13,798.


  • KCOM
  • UOH
  • Umbro
  • MKM
  • Burflex
  • WWF