Hull City

Report: Hull City 1-0 West Bromwich Albion

03 November 2018
Hull City made it back-to-back league wins for the first time since April as they beat West Bromwich Albion 1-0 at the KCOM Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

Fraizer Campbell bagged himself a match-winning goal for the second weekend running to earn a thoroughly deserved victory, the Tigers comfortably shutting out the Championship’s leading scorers in the process.

Nigel Adkins made two changes to his side following last weekend’s win against Bolton Wanderers as Jordy de Wijs and Reece Burke returned from injury. Robbie McKenzie dropped down to the bench, while there was no place for Stephen Kingsley.

Former Tigers Jake Livermore and Conor Townsend started for West Brom, while Boaz Myhill is included amongst the substitutes.

Adkins’ men almost repeated last weekend’s feat of striking early when Kamil Grosicki put in a deep cross from the left which found Jarrod Bowen who saw his header come back off the crossbar. That came three minutes in, and just a couple of minutes later Grosicki himself saw an effort go just over.

An even better chance came Grosicki’s way in the seventh minute but again the Polish international was off target with his shot, this time from much closer range.

The Tigers were dominating but were almost made to pay for not taking their early chances when Jay Rodriguez beat the offside trap to send a low volley just wide of David Marshall’s right-hand post.

James Morrison also fired off target as the visitors worked their way back into things, although Tommy Elphick did have a half-chance at the other end of the field as he met a Grosicki free kick but the header went wide.

A well-worked move involving Eric Lichaj, Jackson Irvine and Grosicki then created a chance for Campbell but he shot well over the bar from 12 yards before the Tigers took a deserved lead seven minutes before half time. A well-worked short corner routine gave Bowen the space he needed to cross from the right and when Irvine’s header came back off the bar, Campbell was in the perfect position to put the rebound into the net for his second goal in as many games.

It was a lead the home side took into the interval and beyond, although Elphick had to be at his best early in the second half as he produced a magnificent block to deny Rodriguez.

de Wijs was yellow carded for a foul just inside his own half as he picked up the first booking of the afternoon before Grosicki saw a half-volley saved by Sam Johnstone in the Albion goal.

Campbell was then denied by a last-ditch challenge from Ahmed Hegazi, the striker’s final contribution as he was replaced by Chris Martin moments later.

A second change, nine minutes from time, was enforced as de Wijs limped off to be replaced by McKenzie and he slotted into a defence that comfortably saw the Tigers through to all three points.

Hull City: David Marshall, Reece Burke, Tommy Elphick, Jordy de Wijs (Robbie McKenzie 81), Eric Lichaj, Daniel Batty, Markus Henriksen, Jarrod Bowen, Jackson Irvine, Kamil Grosicki (Todd Kane 90), Fraizer Campbell (Chris Martin 72).

Subs Not Used: George Long, Kevin Stewart, Will Keane, Max Sheaf.

West Bromwich Albion: Sam Johnstone, James Morrison (Oliver Burke 66), Jake Livermore, Matt Phillips (Bakary Sako 66), Chris Brunt (Sam Field 33), Conor Townsend, Harvey Barnes, Jay Rodriguez, Tosin Adarabioyo, Craig Dawson, Ahmed Hegazi.

Subs Not Used: Boaz Myhill, Tyrone Mears, Wes Hoolahan, Hal Robson-Kanu.

Referee: Mr K. Stroud.

Attendance: 11,916.