Hull City

Hull City 1-2 Huddersfield Town: Report

28 January 2020
Hull City slipped to a third successive league defeat as they were beaten 2-1 by Huddersfield Town at the KCOM Stadium on Tuesday night.

The Tigers had looked to have done enough to secure a share of the spoils after Ryan Tafazolli close-range finish had cancelled out Karlan Grant’s first-half opener for the visitors. However, substitute Steve Mounie’s stoppage-time header ensured it was a frustrating night for all of black and amber persuasion.

Grant McCann’s starting eleven showed two changes to the one that began against Chelsea in the Emirates FA Cup three days earlier. Josh Magennis replaced Tom Eaves in attack, while Kamil Grosicki was included from the off in place of George Honeyman.

Eaves and Honeyman were on the bench where they were joined by Keane Lewis-Potter, who returned to the matchday squad after missing out against both Derby County and Chelsea.

The Terriers, meanwhile, included former Hull City striker Fraizer Campbell in their starting line-up, with the 32-year-old returning to the KCOM for the first time since his departure last summer.

A bright start from the Tigers brought a sight of goal inside the opening minute. Tafazolli’s drilled low ball into the box found Reece Burke, but the centre-back was unable to sort out his feet and get a shot away. The strong opening from McCann’s men continued when, just moments later, Grosicki’s ball across the face of goal only just failed to pick out the run of Magennis.

Just five minutes had been played when the Tigers carved out a third opening. A good run from Mallik Wilks saw the winger found by Eric Lichaj’s ball in from left, but his header was off target.

Huddersfield enjoyed their first spell of pressure in the tenth minute, with Tafazolli required to hack the ball away from danger as Karlan Grant looked to turn inside the box.

The action soon returned to the other end of the pitch though, as Wilks won a free-kick in promising position 25 yards from goal. Grosicki took responsibility for the set-piece, but was left disappointed as both his initial and follow-up efforts were blocked the visitors’ defensive wall.

However, it was Huddersfield that took the lead in the 24th minute. Grant worked his way into the box from the Terriers’ left-hand side, beating Robbie McKenzie and firing past George Long with the aid of a deflection.

The Tigers looked to have carved out a chance to level the scores just three minutes later when Jarrod Bowen’s precise through-ball released Grosicki, but the Pole’s attempted cross – again looking for Magennis in the middle – was deflected into the hands of Kamil Grabara.

Wilks had enjoyed a bright first 35 minutes in what his first league start in black and amber and caused the visitors’ backline more problems when showing good pace and strength down the right, only to see his eventual effort from a tight angle deflected behind for a corner, from which Grosicki headed over.

The final action of the first half saw the Tigers almost come close to an equaliser, albeit in fortuitous circumstances, as Grosicki’s deflected cross crept just wide of the far post with Grabara beaten.

The first chance of the second half came after just 35 seconds – and it was Huddersfield who should have doubled their lead. Bacuna found Smith Rowe, who released Kachunga into space. His low cross was deflected back to the Arsenal loanee who could only fire over from 18 yards.

The Terriers continued their positive start to the second period with some neat possession play that led to a couple of corners down the left. The second was recycled into the box by Bacuna, who picked out Kachunga at the back post and only a fine save from Long prevented the visitors from making it 2-0.

A response came from the home side as Wilks tried to force his way into the box, only to see his run ended by Lewis O’Brien. The ball broke kindly for Kane though, who advanced forward before sending a curling effort narrowly over.

A first substitution of the evening saw the Terriers introduce Steve Mounie into the action in place of Campbell just after the hour mark, with McCann making a double chance as Eaves and Irvine replaced McKenzie and Wilks at the same time.

And the changes produced the desired response as the Tigers grabbed an equaliser just four minutes later. Bowen’s inswinging corner caused carnage inside the box and Tafazolli eventually managed to prod the ball over the line. It took goal-line technology for the goal to be given, with Grabara booked for protesting about a potential foul afterwards.

Buoyed by the goal, the home side piled on the pressure as Bowen beat Toffolo on the flank before standing up a cross for Eaves, whose goal-bound header was pushed over by Grabara. The keeper was called into action once again moments later, diving full length to his right to claw away Irvine’s scuffed effort.

Another chance came the way of the Tigers in the 68th minute. Grosicki’s powerful run and cross picked out Bowen at the back post, but the winger’s effort was well blocked by Harry Toffolo. In the build-up to that chance, Huddersfield keeper Grabara picked up an injury and – after lengthy treatment on the pitch – was stretchered off to be replaced by Joel Coleman.

After a delay of more than twelve minutes, play resumed with a corner for the Tigers, from which referee Stephen Martin awarded a free-kick to the visitors for a foul by Eaves.

The Terriers made a third and final change on 85 minutes, with the impressive Smith Rowe replaced by Andy King.

Irvine saw a volleyed effort from the edge of the box gathered and held by Coleman before the Australian was involved in the thick of the action once again when sending a header from Lichaj’s superb left-wing cross over the bar.

Fourteen minutes of added time was signalled by the fourth official, prompting a huge roar of support from the black and amber faithful inside the KCOM.

A final change for the Tigers saw Honeyman replace Kane in the third of those additional minutes but it was the visitors who were looking the more likely to score as only a fine save from Long at full stretch kept out Bacuna’s effort.

Another chance fell to Grant, who fired wide, before the pressure finally told in the sixth minute of added time. Substitute Mounie was left completely unmarked inside the six-yard box and headed home from Kachunga’s cross to secure all three points for the Terriers.

Hull City: George Long, Eric Lichaj, Ryan Tafazolli, Reece Burke, Kamil Grosicki, Robbie McKenzie (Tom Eaves 62), Jarrod Bowen, Josh Magennis, Leonardo Da Silva Lopes, Herbie Kane (George Honeyman 90+3), Mallik Wilks (Jackson Irvine 62).

Subs Not Used: Matt Ingram, Sean McLoughlin, Stephen Kingsley, Keane Lewis-Potter.

Huddersfield Town: Kamil Grabara (Joel Coleman 83), Harry Toffolo, Juninho Bacuna, Trevor Chalobah, Elias Kachunga, Richard Stearman, Karlan Grant, Fraizer Campbell (Steve Mounie 62), Christopher Schindler, Emile Smith Rowe (Andy King 85), Lewis O’Brien.

Subs Not Used:Rekeil Pyke, Jon Gorenc Stankovic, Jaden Brown, Florent Hadergjonaj.

Referee: Stephen Martin

Att: 10,474