Hull City

Hull City 2-0 Birmingham City: Report

02 March 2019
Hull City’s quest for a play-off place continued with a 2-0 victory over Birmingham City at the KCOM Stadium on Saturday.

Jarrod Bowen scored in each half to earn all three points, the first a powerful finish from inside the box and the second from the penalty spot after he had been brought down inside the area, as the Tigers’ excellent home form continued.

Nigel Adkins named the same eleven that started the midweek victory over Millwall, with just the one change on the bench where Kevin Stewart returned from injury as youngster Max Sheaf made way.

The Tigers controlled possession in the opening moments and created the game’s first chance when a clever turn and cross from the left by Marc Pugh created a chance for Todd Kane who saw a volley fly over the bar.

A ball over the top from Jordy de Wijs just escaped Jarrod Bowen who would have been through on goal had he been able to take it in before Birmingham’s first chance came from the kind of quick counter-attack that Adkins had warned about pre-match, and it ended with Lukas Jutkiewicz firing wide from 20 yards.

The Birmingham striker also saw a low shot saved by David Marshall before de Wijs was booked for a foul committed in the build-up to the previous chance.

Pugh brought a save out of Lee Camp with an effort from just outside the box before Marshall was called into action at the other end when turning a Che Adams shot wide at his near post. From the resulting corner the Tigers broke as Jackson Irvine’s ball sent Bowen away into space before he was denied from 18 yards by Camp.

Bowen made no mistake with his next chance in the 23rd minute. Pugh was at the heart of things, doing well inside the box to flick the ball to Bowen who lashed a shot into the roof of the net.

The Tigers were getting plenty of joy down the left and Kamil Grosicki set up a chance for Pugh who could only side-foot straight at Camp, before Grosicki himself had a great opportunity before half time but he dragged an effort wide.

Kane deflected a Connor Mahoney shot wide early in the second half and Marshall saved from Jutkiewicz as the visitors applied some pressure.

Despite Birmingham’s brighter start, it was the Tigers who doubled their lead on the hour. Chris Martin’s header sent Bowen through on goal and after outpacing centre back Michael Morrison, he was brought down by goalkeeper Camp. Gamesmanship from Blues substitute Craig Gardner delayed the taking of the penalty and resulted in Gardner and Markus Henriksen being booked, but Bowen kept his cool to find the bottom corner from the spot.

Adams fired into the side-netting after being forced wide by Marshall as Birmingham looked to pull a goal back but it was the home side that went close to adding to the scoreline when Pugh put an effort wide.

de Wijs was forced off 15 minutes from time and was replaced by Liam Ridgewell before Bowen went close to a hat-trick when played through by Martin but his shot found the outside rather than the inside of the net.

An excellent run and shot by Pugh was stopped by Camp as the game entered its final ten minutes during which Robbie McKenzie replaced the injured Eric Lichaj at left back.

Marshall made a good save to deny Jacques Maghoma as the clock ticked down to a second home win of the week.

Hull City: David Marshall, Todd Kane, Reece Burke, Jordy de Wijs (Liam Ridgewell 75), Eric Lichaj (Robbie McKenzie 84), Markus Henriksen, Jackson Irvine, Jarrod Bowen, Marc Pugh, Kamil Grosicki, Chris Martin.
Subs Not Used: George Long, Kevin Stewart, Evandro, Nouha Dicko, David Milinkovic.

Birmingham City: Lee Camp, Kristian Pedersen, Maxime Colin (Wes Harding 44), Connor Mahoney (Jacques Maghoma 78), Che Adams, Lukas Jutkiewicz, Harlee Dean, Kerim Mrabti, Gary Gardner, David Davis (Craig Gardner 56), Michael Morrison.
Subs Not Used: Connal Trueman, Maikel Kieftenbeld, Isaac Vassell, Jota.

Referee: Mr A. Madley.

Attendance: 12,551.