Hull City

Hull City 2-0 Derby County: Report

26 October 2019
Hull City made it back-to-back league wins for the first time this season with a 2-0 victory over Derby County on Saturday afternoon.

Following up the midweek win at Nottingham Forest with another fine three points, Jarrod Bowen bagged himself a second half double in front of almost 16,500 fans at the KCOM Stadium.

Grant McCann gave Josh Bowler a first league start as the one and only change to his line-up following the midweek win at Nottingham Forest. Bowler replaced the suspended Josh Magennis, and it meant a change of role for Bowen who moved into a more central position.

Former Tiger Curtis Davies captained Derby and was given a warm welcome back on his return to the KCOM, while former Hull City loanee Chris Martin also started for the Rams with Martyn Waghorn on the bench.

On a rain-soaked surface, both sides took a little time to find their feet although Jordy de Wijs did try his luck from 30 yards but fired well wide.

Krystian Bielik responded with Derby’s first shot of the afternoon in the tenth minute which was also well off target, before Jackson Irvine picked up an early booking for a foul on Jayden Bogle.

Bowen brought a save out of visiting goalkeeper Kelle Roos 17 minutes in, having seconds earlier set up a chance for Kamil Grosicki who elected to pass rather than shoot when inside the box.

Bowen was then inches away from opening the scoring with a strike from the edge of the area at the end of a nice move down the left, while at the other end George Long saved a deflected Graeme Shinnie effort.

Long made a more impressive stop to keep out Tom Lawrence after the Derby man got in behind the home defence, while the visitors created the best chance of first half in added time but Callum Elder was in the right place at the right time to clear off the line.

Bowen was denied by Roos at the near post and Irvine fired over the bar early in the second half, with Grosicki also seeing a low drive held by the Derby keeper.

Derby thought they had taken a 55th-minute lead when Lawrence bundled the ball into the net but his celebrations were cut short with the referee ruling that the Welsh international had used his hand.

All the while the Tigers were racking up the yellow cards. Bowler and Jordy de Wijs had been cautioned just before the break, while Callum Elder picked up a yellow just after the hour.

Bowler curled a shot just over after Grosicki had again elected to pass when a shot may have been the better option, before a first change saw Tom Eaves replace Bowler with 18 minutes remaining.

And Eaves was involved as the Tigers took the lead in the 74th minute. The striker’s effort from inside the box was blocked, but the ball was kept alive and Grosicki lifted a cross to the back post where Bowen got up to head into the net.

A second substitution saw Kevin Stewart come on for Jon Toral, before Bowen doubled the lead ten minutes from time. Irvine started the move off by winning possession back on halfway and sending Grosicki away down the left. He then exchanged passes with Irvine before setting up Bowen to double his tally.

Grosicki was replaced by George Honeyman as the clock ticked over into added time, with the home side comfortable seeing the game through to its end.

Hull City: George Long; Eric Lichaj ©, Reece Burke, Jordy de Wijs, Callum Elder; Leonardo Da Silva Lopes, Jackson Irvine, Jon Toral (Kevin Stewart 77); Josh Bowler (Tom Eaves 72), Kamil Grosicki (George Honeyman 90), Jarrod Bowen.

Subs Not Used: Matt Ingram, Ryan Tafazolli, Stephen Kingsley, Matthew Pennington.

Derby County: Kelle Roos, Graeme Shinnie (Martyn Waghorn 79), Krystain Bielik, Kieran Dowell (Morgan Whittaker 68), Tom Lawrence, Matthew Clarke, Chris Martin (Jack Marriott 79), Duane Holmes, Max Lowe, Curtis Davies, Jayden Bogle.

Subs Not Used: Ben Hamer, Andre Wisdom, Max Bird, Scott Malone.

Referee: Mr S. Hooper.

Attendance: 16,326.