Hull City

Hull City 2-0 Stoke City: Report

02 February 2019
Hull City made it five wins in a row as they beat Stoke City 2-0 at the KCOM Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

As they so often do, Jarrod Bowen and Kamil Grosicki did the damage as they scored the goals that fired the Tigers back into the top half of the Championship table.

Nigel Adkins made three changes to his starting eleven following last weekend’s defeat at Blackburn Rovers.

Fraizer Campbell replaced Chris Martin in attack, Eric Lichaj came in for the injured Ondrej Mazuch at the back and Jackson Irvine returned from international duty in place of Evandro. Deadline day signing Liam Ridgewell was amongst the substitutes.

Stoke included former Tiger Sam Clucas in their team, with Tom Ince on the bench.

Irvine was in the wars inside 60 seconds after colliding with Stoke goalkeeper Jack Butland as he looked to get on the end of an enticing low cross from Todd Kane but the Australian was soon back on his feet.

A speculative ball over the top saw Stoke create an early chance, too, with James McClean taking advantage of some hesitant defending to run into the box before scuffing a shot into the hands of David Marshall.

Those opening moments were a sign of how much of the half would play out, remaining fairly even with few genuine goal-scoring opportunities.

The best of what there was went the way of the home side, though, with Bowen heading a Grosicki corner wide at the far post and Grosicki himself firing low straight at Butland.

Things livened up, though, in the minutes leading up to half time as the Tigers took the lead. A foul on Kane on the right edge of the box gave the home side a free kick and Bowen stepped up to curl an effort over the wall and inside Butland’s near post.

That looked to be it for the opening half, but a penalty awarded for some shirt pulling inside the area offered a chance for Stoke to level in added time. Debutant Sam Vokes took the spot kick but was denied by Marshall as send Adkins’ men in 1-0 up.

Marshall had to scramble early in the second half when a low Tom Edwards cross skimmed off the surface and almost beat the goalkeeper while at the other end Grosicki kicked fresh air when a partially cleared Kane cross fell in his direction.

Marshall’s luck was in again when a Stoke header rebounded off the crossbar and straight into his hands before play switched to the other end where Campbell went close as he turned Grosicki’s cross into the side-netting.

The Tigers grabbed an important second goal in the 64th minute. Bowen’s driving run ended with him slipping a pass to Campbell and when he squared to the unmarked Grosicki, the Polish international did the rest with a neat first time finish.

Stoke’s Peter Etebo earned the game’s first yellow card after lunging in on Irvine but Irvine soon saw yellow as well for a foul on Joe Allen.

Marc Pugh came on to make his home debut when replacing Grosicki seven minutes from time while a second change saw Chris Martin come on for Campbell and a third brought David Milinkovic on for Bowen in added time.

The closing moments were as comfortable as you could wish for as the Tigers’ impressive home form continued.


Hull City: David Marshall, Todd Kane, Eric Lichaj, Robbie McKenzie, Stephen Kingsley, Kevin Stewart, Markus Henriksen, Jarrod Bowen (David Milinkovic 90), Jackson Irvine, Kamil Grosicki (Marc Pugh 83), Fraizer Campbell (Chris Martin 88).

Subs Not Used: George Long, Evandro, Daniel Batty, Liam Ridgewell.

Stoke City: Jack Butland, Joe Allen, Ashley Williams, Peter Etebo, Sam Vokes, James McClean, Danny Batth, Bruno Martins Indi (Benik Afobe 76), Sam Clucas, Bojan (Tom Ince 60), Tom Edwards.

Subs Not Used: Adam Federici, Moritz Bauer, Ryan Shawcross, Saido Berahino, Ryan Woods.

Referee: Mr P. Bankes.

Attendance: 12,776.