Hull City

Hull City 2-2 Queens Park Rangers: Report

16 March 2019
Hull City let a two-goal lead slip as they were held to a 2-2 draw by Queens Park Rangers at the KCOM Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

A first half brace from Jarrod Bowen, which took him past the 20-goal mark for the season, had put the Tigers in control but QPR fought back after the break to take a share of the points.

Nigel Adkins made three changes to the side that started against Norwich City in midweek. Kamil Grosicki came in for the suspended skipper Markus Henriksen as David Marshall took the captain’s armband, while Robbie McKenzie and Stephen Kingsley came into the back line as Todd Kane and Eric Lichaj made way.

Adkins’ men saw plenty of the ball in the opening moments and a lovely pass from Jackson Irvine created the first chance of the afternoon four minutes in. Bowen was on the end of it, but his low shot was well kept out by visiting goalkeeper Joe Lumley.

Two minutes later Bowen gave the Tigers the lead, and broke a long-standing club record. A lovely passing move ended with Grosicki finding Bowen in plenty of space and he cut in onto his left foot before finding the bottom corner of the net. It was the eighth home game in succession that Bowen had found the net, beating the previous record of Bill Bradbury which was set in a seven-home-game run during the 1958/59 season. It was also a goal that saw Bowen reach 20 for the season.

QPR produced a decent response with Nahki Wells firing into the side-netting before Jake Bidwell fired across Marshall and just wide of the far post.

Kingsley produced a perfectly-timed challenge to deny Wells after a ball had ricocheted into the QPR striker’s path to seemingly present him with a perfect opportunity to equalise, and Marshall had to save from Luke Freeman as the visitors enjoyed a decent spell.

Kingsley was in the right place at the right time again to deny Wells a tap-in from a left-wing cross before Bidwell was booked for a late challenge on Fraizer Campbell. Liam Ridgewell soon followed the QPR man into the book for a foul on Wells.

Marc Pugh saw an effort blocked after Grosicki had picked him out inside the box and a McKenzie shot had a similar outcome, again after being picked out by the Polish wide man.

The Tigers doubled the lead a minute before half time and it was that man Bowen again getting on the end of some good work by Grosicki. This time he beautifully controlled a deep cross before steadying himself to fire low past Lumley.

The second half got off to a quiet start, although Rangers missed a great chance to get themselves back into the game when Massimo Luongo fired over from six yards.

Bowen sent an effort wide from distance and Campbell saw an effort blocked on the line as the Tigers threatened a third goal.

However, it was the visitors that netted the next goal on 62 minutes. Substitute Josh Scowen’s low effort from outside the box looked harmless enough, but it passed all the way through and into the bottom corner of the net.

Bowen sent a free kick straight at Lumley and Pugh fired over the bar from 25 yards, but Pugh also had work to do at the other end when he cleared off the line as QPR threatened an equaliser.

Martin replaced Campbell before Lumley denied Bowen a hat-trick as the goalkeeper saved with his legs.

QPR drew level with seven minutes remaining. A high, hanging cross dropped at the feet of substitute Tomer Hemed and he bundled the ball into the net from close range.

Ebere Eze fired a late free kick inches wide as the visitors looked the more likely winners but in the end the points were shared.

Hull City: David Marshall, Robbie McKenzie, Reece Burke, Liam Ridgewell, Stephen Kingsley, Kevin Stewart, Jackson Irvine, Jarrod Bowen, Marc Pugh, Kamil Grosicki, Fraizer Campbell (Chris Martin 77).
Subs Not Used: George Long, Eric Lichaj, Evandro, Nouha Dicko, David Milinkovic, Todd Kane.

Queens Park Rangers: Joe Lumley, Darnell Furlong, Jake Bidwell, Geoff Cameron (Josh Scowen 55), Luke Freeman (Bright Osayi-Samuel 46), Ebere Eze, Massimo Luongo, Pawel Wszolek, Nahki Wells (Tomer Hemed 79), Joel Lynch, Toni Leistner.
Subs Not Used: Matt Ingram, Grant Hall, Jordan Cousins, Ryan Manning.

Referee: Mr S. Martin.
Attendance: 11,227.