Hull City

Hull City 2-2 Rotherham United: Report

12 February 2019
Hull City surrendered a two-goal lead as they were held to a 2-2 draw by Rotherham United at the KCOM Stadium on Tuesday night.

Early goals from Jarrod Bowen and Fraizer Campbell had put the Tigers 2-0 up and on course for a sixth successive home win, but Rotherham were level before the hour mark on a frustrating evening for Nigel Adkins’ men.

Liam Ridgewell makes his first Hull City start as one of two changes to the side to face Rotherham United at the KCOM Stadium this evening. Evandro also comes into the starting eleven, with Todd Kane and Kevin Stewart the two to make way. Reece Burke returns from injury to take a place on the bench.

Kick-off was preceded by a minute’s applause in memory of England’s World Cup-winning goalkeeper Gordon Banks who sadly passed away overnight.

Once the game got underway, the Tigers needed less than 90 seconds to get their noses in front. A lovely pass from Evandro sent Bowen into the Rotherham box and he was composed in waiting for the perfect moment to hit a right-footed shot across goalkeeper Marek Rodak and inside the far post.

That was the starting point for a half that was controlled by the home side and the lead was doubled midway through. Stephen Kingsley’s perfect pass found Kamil Grosicki in space inside the Rotherham area and his square pass was just out of the reach of keeper Rodak, with Campbell arriving behind him to finish from close range.

David Marshall had to be alert to keep out Ritchie Towell’s low, swerving effort a minute later before Grosicki almost added a third goal at the other end with an in-swinging corner that had Rodak frantically readjusting to push the ball away.

Jackson Irvine curled a shot over from distance after some nice play in midfield had created the opportunity, while at the other end Marshall was tested by a powerful Will Vaulks drive just before the break.

Rotherham were back in the game soon after half time when two substitutes combined. Jon Taylor got away down the right and when his low cross evaded Marshall, Anthony Forde was there to tap into the net.

And the Millers were level with ten minutes of the second half played. Taylor took aim from 20 yards and saw his shot deflect past Marshall.
The game had turned and Marshall twice had to tip the ball over from Clark Robertson headers.

Grosicki had the Tigers’ first effort of the second half with a powerful strike that was pushed wide by Rodak, and the Polish winger then made way for the introduction of Marc Pugh.

A second change saw David Milinkovic replace Evandro and a final change came with a little under ten minutes to go as Chris Martin came on for Campbell.

A frustrating second half was summed up when Irvine headed a great chance wide late on as the game finished all square.


Hull City: David Marshall, Eric Lichaj, Robbie McKenzie, Liam Ridgwell, Stephen Kingsley, Markus Henriksen, Jackson Irvine, Jarrod Bowen, Evandro (David Milinkovic 78), Kamil Grosicki (Marc Pugh 70), Fraizer Campbell (Chris Martin 82).

Subs Not Used: George Long, Reece Burke, Kevin Stewart, Todd Kane.

Rotherham United: Marek Rodak, Zak Vyner, Joe Mattock, Will Vaulks, Semi Ajayi, Richard Wood (Jon Taylor 46), Ritchie Towell (Matt Crooks 70), Clark Robertson, Michael Ihiekwe, Jerry Yates (Anthony Forde 38), Michael Smith.

Subs Not Used: Lewis Price, Joe Newell, Ryan Williams, Billy Jones.

Referee: Mr S. Duncan.

Attendance: 10,785.