Hull City

Hull City 3-1 Reading: Report

06 April 2019
Hull City came from behind to beat Reading 3-1 at the KCOM Stadium as the battle for a play-off place continued.

Having fallen behind to Lewis Baker’s early long-range effort, the Tigers rallied after the break with a Marc Pugh goal sandwiched in between strikes from Kamil Grosicki as the Polish international bagged himself a brace for the second game running.

Nigel Adkins made just one change to his starting line-up following last weekend’s victory at Ipswich Town, with skipper Markus Henriksen returning from suspension to take the place of Daniel Batty who dropped down to the bench. Reece Burke and Fraizer Campbell, who both limped off in the win at Portman Road, were fit to start.

The Tigers made a bright start with Grosicki’s free kick proving just too high for Jordy de Wijs to get on the end of before a Grosicki shot was blocked inside the box and a low ball towards Fraizer Campbell was collected by goalkeeper Emiliano Martinez all inside the opening five minutes.

A ball over the top from de Wijs then almost had Campbell through on goal but the striker couldn’t quite bring it under control as Martinez came out to meet him before de Wijs picked up a booking 14 minutes in for a challenge on Andy Rinomhota.

Despite the promising start, it was Reading who took a 16th-minute lead with their first shot of the afternoon. A short corner saw the ball eventually worked for Baker and he fired a shot past David Marshall from 25 yards.

The visitors went on to frustrate their hosts and then almost doubled their lead with half-an-hour played when Baker’s free kick was glanced against Marshall’s crossbar.

Jackson Irvine headed Pugh’s corner just wide and Jarrod Bowen knocked Grosicki’s cut-back past the post from the best of the home side’s chances before the break, with Martinez finally booked in the last minute of the half for time-wasting that had begun soon after his team had taken the lead.

A free kick on the edge of the Reading box early in the second half almost led to a goal – for Reading. Grosicki’s initial attempt and a follow-up were blocked, and the visitors broke at pace with five-on-three but a poor final ball saw any chance disappear.

The Tigers levelled in the 53rd minute. Campbell’s ball sent Grosicki through and with Martinez hesitant, Grosicki rolled in a shot off the far post for 1-1.

Grosicki had a great chance to put his side in front on the hour after again being sent through by Campbell. This time he beat Martinez, but not the post as the ball trickled agonisingly wide.

Campbell had a chance himself a minute later but saw a shot deflected wide before Reading had the opportunity to go back in front after a mistake from de Wijs but Marshall saved well from Mo Barrow.

It was the Tigers who went in front with 65 minutes on the clock. Campbell, Bowen and Grosicki all linked up well on the right edge of the box and when Bowen’s close-range effort from Grosicki’s pass was well kept out by Martinez, Pugh followed up to put the rebound into the net.

Irvine picked up a booking for a foul on Baker before the Tigers made it 3-1 on 77 minutes. In a carbon-copy of the first goal, Campbell played Grosicki through and the Polish international produced a cool finish past Martinez.

Henriksen drilled an effort wide from 25 yards ahead of changes which brought Chris Martin and Evandro on in place of Campbell and Pugh in the final ten minutes.

Kevin Stewart was also introduced in the closing moments as Grosicki left the field to a standing ovation having helped the Tigers to continue their impressive home form.

Hull City: David Marshall, Todd Kane, Reece Burke, Jordy de Wijs, Eric Lichaj, Markus Henriksen, Jackson Irvine, Jarrod Bowen, Marc Pugh (Evandro 86), Kamil Grosicki (Kevin Stewart 88), Fraizer Campbell (Chris Martin 84).
Subs Not Used: George Long, Daniel Batty, Robbie McKenzie, Liam Ridgewell.

Reading: Emiliano Martinez, Andy Yiadom, Liam Moore, Lewis Baker, Modou Barrow (Callum Harriott 78), Oviemuno Ejaria, Matt Miazga, Yakou Meite (Danny Loader 78), Nelson Oliveira (Garath McCleary 78), Tyler Blackett, Andy Rinomhota.
Subs Not Used: Sam Walker, Chris Gunter, Liam Kelly, Josh Barrett.

Referee: Mr T. Robinson.
Attendance: 11,268.