Hull City

Know The Score: 4-1

25 March 2020
Our look back at some of the memorable matches for each scoreline from the Tigers’ 116-year history continues with four 4-1 victories…

Hull City 4 Barnsley 1
Division Two | Saturday 2nd September 1905
This was a momentous day in the history of in the Tigers’ history. Although the Club had been officially launched the season before, they had spent that campaign playing friendlies.

Saturday 2nd September 1905 was the first time Hull City had played in a competitive league fixture. They faced Barnsley at home, and a crowd estimated at 8,000 saw the Tigers run riot.

A squad of players had been assembled to compete in the Second Division, and after a few weeks of training, the big day had arrived. And it took just two minutes before George Spence had written himself into the history books by scoring the Club’s first league goal.

Barnsley equalised within a few minutes, but from then on it was all City. Davy Gordon put City back in front shortly before half time. And, after the break, Wilson added a third before Gordon notched his second of the game.

It marked the start of a very decent campaign for the newcomers, City going on to finish 5th in a division of 20 clubs, which was won by Bristol City.

Hull City 4 Darlington 1
Division Three | Saturday 9th August 2003
It had all the ingredients of a cracking season opener to remember for many years. The August sun was baking, there were more than 14,000 at the KC Stadium – and Hull City were on the top of their game.

Manager Peter Taylor was looking forward to his first full season in charge and was confident of mounting a push for promotion. And the Tigers’ team that day was packed with the players who would kick start the Tigers revival in the months ahead.

Taylor handed debuts to summer signings Alton Thelwell, Richard Hinds, Jason Price and Danny Allsopp, and City looked a class apart from their north-east opponents. Goals from Ben Burgess, Price, Thelwell and Allsopp comfortably put Darlington to the sword and it would prove to be a sign of things to come.

The Tigers were rampant for the rest of the campaign, finishing with 88 points from their 46 league games, putting them well clear of Torquay and Huddersfield on 81, and only four behind Doncaster who went up as champions.

Hull City 4 Cardiff City 1
Championship | Saturday 16th December 2006
Hull City were in desperate need of a boost when they hosted Cardiff City with the midway point of the 2006/07 season fast approaching.

Manager Phil Parkinson had been relieved of his duties a couple of weeks earlier and the Tigers had claimed just a solitary point from their previous five games to leave them languishing near the foot of the Championship table.

With Phil Brown in caretaker charge of the side, the Club made a considerable effort to fill the KCOM and more than 23,000 fans turned up to witness the start of a rescue act.

The Tigers were two up inside ten minutes. Ian Ashbee’s header from Andy Dawson’s corner was cleared off the line before Damien Delaney bundled home from close-range to open the scoring, before Dean Marney then made it 2-0 with a ferocious drive that found the back of the net via the aid of a deflection.

Nine minutes before the break, Nick Barmby flicked the ball through to Fagan, who beat a woeful offside trap before racing 40 yards and strolling past Alexander.

Cardiff grabbed a lifeline when Michael Chopra latched on to Joe Ledley’s through ball to tuck away a smart finish from 12 yards ten minutes into the second half, but Michael Bridges made certain of the points when he blasted home after Cardiff had failed to clear Fagan’s cross from the left 19 minutes from time.

Hull City 4 Watford 1
Championship Play-Off Semi-Final | Wednesday 14th May 2008
This could well be the most exciting and enjoyable home match in Hull City’s 116-year history.

The Tigers had finished the league season in third place and were pitted against an out of form Watford in the play-off semi-finals. A place at Wembley for the first time in the Club’s history was up for grabs, and City did the business in the away leg three days earlier, winning 2-0.

Everyone knew that if Watford were going to force their way back into the tie they would have to score first in the second leg. And that’s what they did, Darius Henderson cranking up the nerves by scoring from close range.

As the first half went on, it looked like Phil Brown’s side might face a worrying evening. But then, just before the break, Nicky Barmby hurled himself at the ball inches from the goal-line to head home and make sure the Tigers were level at the break – and 3-1 ahead on aggregate.

The second half turned into a celebratory procession. First Caleb Folan gave City the lead on the night, with a header on 70 minutes, and then Richard Garcia scored a fine solo goal before Nathan Doyle’s deflected shot made it 4-1.

The crowd streamed onto the pitch at the final whistle, knowing the next time they saw the Tigers would be at Wembley for the play-off final, and the chance of reaching the top-flight for the first time.

The Tigers’ first-ever 4-1 victory came in the club’s inaugural season of friendly matches on 8th October 1904 against Sheffield FC on home soil.

An Abel Hernández hat-trick, along with a further strike from Kamil Grosicki, helped the Tigers register their last 4-1 win when beating Burton Albion at home in August 2017.

Did You Know?
Ambrose Langley is only the Tigers’ boss to have begun his reign at the Club with a 4-1 victory when his Hull City side beat Barnsley 4-1 on the opening day of the 1905/06 season.

Ben Burgess became the first player to score a hat-trick at the KC Stadium when he netted three of the Tigers’ goals in a 4-1 victory over Kidderminster Harriers on 26th April 2003.