Hull City

LinkedIn: Sheffield Wednesday

30 September 2019
With Hull City welcoming Sheffield Wednesday to the KCOM Stadium on Tuesday night, here are four players that have played for both clubs over the years…

Ambrose Langley
In April 1905, in what was a clear signal by the Club’s directors of their serious intention to establish a professional football team in the City of Hull, Ambrose Langley was appointed player/manager of Hull City.

A substantially proportioned full-back in his playing days, Langley spent eight years at Hillsborough and made over 300 appearances for the Owls, winning a number of league and cup medals.

Following his move to the Tigers, his contribution on the playing side was limited to just 15 games, but his impact on the managerial side was far greater. In his eight years in charge, the Tigers’ lowest league finish was 12th and he missed out on guiding to the Club to promotion by a goal average margin of just 0.29 in the 1909/10 campaign.

Brian Marwood
After emerging through the apprenticeship and reserve ranks at Boothferry Park, Brian Marwood developed into one of the finest players ever to have worn the Tigers’ colours during the modern era.

His speed and trickery on the right wing were components in the success enjoyed by the club during the early 1980’s. In his eight-year spell at Hull City, he made 191 appearances and found the back of the net on 53 occasions.

The last of those 53 goals came in the final game of the 1983/84 campaign – a 2-0 victory over Burnley. Marwood scored both goals but it was not enough as he and his team-mates needed to win by a three-goal margin in order to secure a second successive promotion.

He departed to join Sheffield Wednesday in the summer of 1984, where he established himself as one of the First Division’s most consistent and productive wingers, thanks to his pace and close ball control. The newly promoted Owls had a strong return to the top-flight, finishing eighth and fifth in Marwood’s first two seasons at the club, although Wednesday were unable to compete in the 1986/87 UEFA Cup due to the ban on English clubs in European competitions as a result of the Heysel disaster in 1985.

He wet on bigger and better things in his career when he moved to Arsenal in March 1988, helping the Gunners claim the League Championship the following season. It was also with Arsenal that he received international when he made his one and only appearance for his county in November 1988 against Saudi Arabia.

Kamil Zayatte
Kamil Zayatte joined Hull City just a few weeks into their first ever crack at the top-flight of English football in the 2008/09 campaign.

The Guinean international scored his first goal in a black and amber shirt in a 3-0 win at West Brom in October 2008, a victory that remarkably saw the Tigers go level on points at the top of the league, and featured in 32 of the club’s 38 league fixtures that season as Phil Brown’s side retained their top-flight status.

He remained a regular choice in 2009/10, scoring twice in 25 appearances that campaign as City failed to cling on to Premier League status for another year. Zayatte remained with the Tigers following their return to the Championship but departed the KCOM Stadium in January 2011 for family reasons, before moving to Turkey where he enjoyed spells at Konyaspor and Istanbul BB.

The defender returned to English football when joining Sheffield Wednesday in August 2013, and made 26 appearances in two seasons at Hillsborough before being released by the Hillsborough outfit at the end of the 2014/15 season.

Michael Reddy
Tipped as the ‘next big thing’ following his rise through the youth ranks at Sunderland, Michael Reddy was playing and scoring in the Premier League as a teenager in the late 1990s.

However, with Niall Quinn and Kevin Phillips leading the frontline at the Stadium of Light, Reddy found himself available for loan and joined Hull City in September 2001. He earned himself a ‘super sub’ reputation during his two months at Boothferry Park, as he scored four times in four substitute appearances, drawing a blank on his only start for the Club.

With a price tag in the millions a permanent move wasn’t an option and he was still on Sunderland’s books when he joined Sheffield Wednesday in a temporary deal for the second half of the 2002/03 season. He scored three times in 15 games and was back at Hillsborough for another loan spell the following year, adding a further two goals in 17 outings.