Hull City

Millwall 1-1 Hull City: Report

31 August 2019
Hull City earned what turned out to be a very good point from their trip to Millwall on Saturday, emerging from The Den with a 1-1 draw.

The goals came in the first half, Millwall taking the lead through a Jed Wallace penalty before Kamil Grosicki levelled when his free kick found the top corner of the net.

The Tigers then did it tough after the break, and certainly in the latter stages of the second half. Having lost Matthew Pennington and Reece Burke to injury, Jon Toral – Grant McCann’s third and final substitute – also left the field 12 minutes from time, leaving ten men in black and amber to face a rising Millwall tide. That number reduced further in added time when Josh Magennis was dismissed for a second bookable offence, but McCann’s nine men were resolute to secure the point.

Eric Lichaj returned from injury to captain the side as one of three changes to the eleven that started against Bristol City a week earlier. Pennington and Magennis were also included, with Brandon Fleming, Leonardo Da Silva Lopes and Tom Eaves the men to make way.

Lichaj started at left back with Pennington on the opposite side of the back four, while Magennis was the central figure up top.

The Tigers created the first opportunity of the afternoon with only three minutes on the clock. Grosicki did well down the left before floating a cross towards the back post where Jarrod Bowen got in front of his marker but failed to connect with the ball.

George Long made the first save of the day when fielding Mahlon Romeo’s sixth-minute effort, however the goalkeeper was beaten in the tenth minute as Millwall took the lead from the penalty spot. Jordy de Wijs was penalised for a foul on Matt Smith and Wallace stepped up to hammer home the spot kick.

Pennington’s afternoon lasted just 17 minutes as he had to be replaced by Da Silva after pulling up, and the Tigers were level just a minute later. Who knows whether he meant it or not, but Grosicki’s free kick from way out left flew over the head of goalkeeper Bartosz Bialkowski and into the top corner of the net.

It was a goal that settled Grant McCann’s side down and they went on to enjoy the better of what remained of the half.

Kevin Stewart was unlucky to see his powerful drive blocked before it could trouble Bialkowski before Magennis saw a header saved by the Millwall keeper.

Stewart really should have had the visitors in front when reacting first after Bowen’s effort had been kept out but the midfielder poked wide from inside the six-yard box and the sides went in level at the break.

Long was forced to turn a Wallace shot wide early in the second half, while Bowen found himself in the referee’s notebook for simulation after trying to win a free kick deep in Millwall territory.

A second enforced change was made by the Tigers as Burke hobbled off to be replaced by Ryan Tafazolli on the hour, before Bowen headed over from a Grosicki cross at the far post.

McCann’s final substitution saw Jon Toral come on for George Honeyman, but no sooner had he come on he was leaving the action injured and the Tigers had to face the remaining 12 minutes a man light.

Tafazolli put enough pressure on Ryan Leonard to force the Millwall man to head a good chance wide and it was the Lions pushing the Tigers back in the closing stages.

McCann’s side was reduced to nine men three minutes into five added on when Magennis was shown a second yellow card, but the Tigers held firm to take a point.

Millwall: Bartosz Bialkowski, Murray Wallace (Aiden O’Brien 87), Jake Cooper, Jed Wallace, Ben Thompson, Tom Bradshaw (Jon Dadi Bodvarsson 67), Matt Smith, Mahlon Romeo, Alex Pearce, Ryan Leonard, Connor Mahoney (Shane Ferguson 75).

Subs Not Used: Luke Steele, Shaun Hutchinson, Shaun Williams, Jayson Molumby.

Hull City: George Long; Matthew Pennington (Leonardo Da Silva Lopes 17), Reece Burke (Ryan Tafazolli 60), Jordy de Wijs, Eric Lichaj ©; Kevin Stewart, George Honeyman (Jon Toral 73), Jackson Irvine; Jarrod Bowen, Kamil Grosicki, Josh Magennis.

Subs Not Used: Matt Ingram, Tom Eaves, Robbie McKenzie, Josh Bowler.

Referee: Mr O. Langford.

Attendance: 12,495 (502 Visiting Supporters).