Hull City

Report: Millwall 2-2 Hull City

08 December 2018
Hull City took a point from Saturday’s trip to The Den as they drew 2-2 with Millwall.

Kamil Grosicki had given the Tigers an early lead but the hosts hit back to go in front before the hour mark. However, Markus Henriksen scored for the second weekend running to earn a share of the spoils.

19-year-old left back Brandon Fleming made his league debut as Nigel Adkins made two changes to his starting eleven. Jordy de Wijs also came into the side with Eric Lichaj and Reece Burke missing out through injury. Another Academy prospect, centre back Lewis Ritson, was included amongst the substitutes.

Fleming stood up well to some early pressure down his side before the Tigers, just as they did at Queens Park Rangers the previous week, took an early lead. Todd Kane’s cross from the right was cleared to the edge of the box where Jarrod Bowen was waiting, and his cute pass played Grosicki in to blast a shot past goalkeeper Jordan Archer in the sixth minute.

Millwall responded by loading plenty of balls towards the penalty area and they were back on level terms in the 22nd minute. James Meredith’s floated cross caught David Marshall out and Lee Gregory was there to head home at the far post.

Marshall saved from Mahlon Romeo as Millwall threatened to get on top but genuine goal-scoring chances were at a premium for the remainder of the half as the two sides went in level at the break.

de Wijs made a vital block to deny Jed Wallace early in the second half as Millwall came out the brighter-looking side, with Steve Morison then missing a good chance at the far post.

The home side were looking the more likely and took the lead in the 54th minute when Aiden O’Brien fired a low shot into the bottom corner of the net from 20 yards.

Shaun Hutchinson went close to adding a third for the Lions with a header that went just wide before Daniel Batty picked up the first booking of the game for a challenge on Morison.

A first substitution saw Chris Martin replace Batty and the Tigers drew level in the 73rd minute. Bowen’s deep corner was nodded back across goal by de Wijs and Henriksen was there to apply a finishing touch from close range for his second in as many games.

Adkins was forced into making a second change as Ondrej Mazuch replaced de Wijs before a third and final substitution saw Kevin Stewart come on for Grosicki.

Neither side was able to create the chance they needed to win the game in the closing stages as both had to settle for a point.

Millwall: Jordan Archer, James Meredith, Shaun Hutchinson, Jake Cooper, Jed Wallace, Lee Gregory, Mahlon Romeo, Ryan Tunnicliffe, Steve Morison (Tom Elliott 79), Aiden O’Brien (Shane Ferguson 78), Ryan Leonard.

Subs Not Used: Ben Amos, Conor McLaughlin, Jem Karacan, Murray Wallace, Jiri Skalak.

Hull City: David Marshall, Todd Kane, Tommy Elphick, Jordy de Wijs (Ondrej Mazuch 79), Brandon Fleming, Daniel Batty (Chris Martin 69), Markus Henriksen, Jarrod Bowen, Jackson Irvine, Kamil Grosicki (Kevin Stewart 83), Fraizer Campbell.

Subs Not Used: George Long, Nouha Dicko, Will Keane, Lewis Ritson.

Referee: Mr K. Stroud.