Hull City

Reading 1-1 Hull City: Report

08 February 2020
Mallik Wilks scored his first goal for the Club as Hull City came from behind to claim a point from a 1-1 draw at Reading.
The Tigers had fallen behind to Jordan Obita’s strike, but Wilks came off the bench to find the equaliser eight minutes from time.
Grant McCann made six changes to his side following the defeat against Brentford a week earlier. With Reece Burke and Ryan Tafazolli missing, Sean McLoughlin came in to make his Hull City debut and played alongside Eric Lichaj at centre back, with Callum Elder returning from injury at left back to take the place of Stephen Kingsley and Robbie McKenzie playing at right back.

Marcus Maddison made his first start since joining on loan from Peterborough United, while Daniel Batty and Tom Eaves also came in with Keane Lewis-Potter, Wilks and Josh Magennis dropping to a bench that also featured 18-year-old Academy defender Andy Smith.

Maddison almost had the Tigers in front after only two minutes but his shot from inside the box was saved onto the post by Rafael before Irvine’s follow-up was blocked on the goal line.

Irvine then curled a shot just wide from 18 yards after being picked out by Maddison’s ball over the top as a quite open start to the game continued before play settled down and both sides enjoyed spells of possession.

Obita sent Reading’s first shot of the afternoon wide of George Long’s right-hand post, and Long was brought into the actions moments later when he saved from Yakou Meite.

Sam Baldock fired into the side-netting after setting himself up with a lovely first touch inside the area, before McKenzie’s low shot was deflected wide at the other end.

Maddison was the Tigers’ brightest attacking spark and he sent a free kick, that he won himself with some positive running, into the hands of Rafael with Batty also testing the goalkeeper from range in the final ten minutes of the half.

Long was needed to keep the game goalless in added on time at the end of the first half as he saved from Ovie Ejaria just before the referee’s whistle.

Leonardo Da Silva Lopes picked up a booking early in the second half when hauling down Baldock 25 yards from goal and that foul gave Reading a set-piece opportunity. John Swift took it but saw his shot deflect wide.

Long made a decent save from Judilson Gomes’ daisy-cutter, but he couldn’t keep out Obita’s 56th-minute effort from eight yards that put Reading in front.

McCann’s first substitution brought Magennis on for Batty and the Northern Ireland international soon tested Rafael with a low shot from the edge of the area.

Former Tiger Sone Aluko was introduced from the Reading bench before a second change for the Tigers was an enforced one as Lichaj limped off to be replaced by Mallik Wilks. McKenzie moved inside to centre half, with Da Silva moving to right back.

With the visitors struggling to create anything of note in attack, a final change saw Lewis-Potter replace Eaves and it was the teenager that set up the Tigers’ equaliser eight minutes from time as he picked out Wilks who saw a deflected shot find the back of the net.

Magennis fired just over the bar as the Tigers went in search of a winner and it almost arrived in added time but Maddison’s effort went inches wide.
Reading: Rafael Cabral; Chris Gunter (Felipe Araruna Hoffman 27), Liam Moore, Michael Morrison, Tyler Blackett; John Swift, Judilson Gomes, Ovie Ejaria, Jordan Obita (Omar Richards 61); Sam Baldock (Sone Aluko 68), Yakou Meite.

Subs Not Used: Sam Walker, Andy Rinomhota, Charlie Adam, George Puscas.

Hull City: George Long; Robbie McKenzie, Eric Lichaj © (Mallik Wilks 70), Sean McLoughlin, Callum Elder; Leonardo Da Silva Lopes, Daniel Batty (Josh Magennis 61), George Honeyman; Marcus Maddison, Jackson Irvine, Tom Eaves (Keane Lewis-Potter 76).

Subs Not Used: Matt Ingram, Stephen Kingsley, Keane Lewis-Potter, Elliot Bonds, Andy Smith.

Referee: Mr A. Davies.