Hull City Tigers

Report: Reading 3 Hull City 0

22 September 2018
Hull City were beaten 3-0 by Reading at the Madejski Stadium on Saturday afternoon as they suffered a second away defeat of the week.

Trailing 1-0 after just four minutes, the Tigers fell further behind after the break as the Royals secured their first home win of the season.

Fraizer Campbell, Todd Kane and Reece Burke all returned to the starting eleven as Nigel Adkins made three changes to his side following the midweek defeat at Wigan. Chris Martin, Nouha Dicko and Jordy de Wijs made way as they all dropped to the bench.

Of Reading’s ex-Tigers contingent, only Sone Aluko was involved and he had to make so with a place amongst the substitutes.

Reading needed just four minutes to get their noses in front on a wet afternoon, John O’Shea flicking a corner on at the near post and Sam Baldock applying a close-range finish.

The home side should have doubled their lead five minutes later when Josh Sims nodded a ball back for Jon Dadi Bodvarsson to head over from close range.

Jarrod Bowen responded by flashing the Tigers’ first shot of the afternoon across the face of goal before Fraizer Campbell saw an effort ruled out for an offside against Todd Kane.

David Marshall pushed Leandro Bacuna’s free kick over the bar and from the resulting corner Campbell had to clear off his own line to prevent Reading from adding a second.

Campbell then picked up a booking for a foul on Bacuna before the offside flag again denied the Tigers a leveller, Kane the man too far forward again as he finished after Reading goalkeeper Sam Walker had fumbled Bowen’s shot.

Jackson Irvine volleyed a good chance over at the far post with the final touch of the half, as the visitors went in a goal behind at the break.

The Tigers had appeals for a penalty turned down early in the second half when the ball appeared to strike the arm of Andy Yiadom inside the box before Campbell’s pass set up a chance for Kane but his effort was blocked.

Kevin Stewart sent a 25 yard left-footed drive over as the second half improvement continued but that was his final contribution as he departed as part of a double substitution. Bowen was also withdrawn, with Martin and Kamil Grosicki coming on.

Reading made changes of their own and they had an impact, Mo Barrow helping to set up Bodvarsson to make it 2-0 with 20 minutes remaining.

Martin did at least bring a save out of Walker with a powerful strike shortly after but a third Reading goal killed the game off eight minutes from time as Yiadom took advantage of some poor defending to finish low past Marshall.

Reading’s O’Shea was sent off a minute later after bringing Martin down as the last defender right on the edge of the box and although Grosicki’s free kick found its way into the net, the effort was ruled out as the ball was deflected in off a black and amber hand.

Reading: Sam Walker, Andy Yiadom, John O’Shea, Liam Moore, Leandro Bacuna, Sam Baldock (Mo Barrow 69), Thiago Ilori, Jon Dadi Bodvarsson, Josh Sims, Saeid Ezatolahi (John Swift 68), Liam Kelly (Chris Gunter 84).

Subs Not Used: Anssi Jaakkola, Sone Aluko, Yakou Meite, Marc McNulty.

Hull City: David Marshall, Eric Lichaj, Tommy Elphick, Reece Burke, Stephen Kingsley, Jarrod Bowen (Kamil Grosicki 62), Kevin Stewart (Chris Martin 62), Markus Henriksen, Todd Kane, Jackson Irvine, Fraizer Campbell.

Subs Not Used: George Long, Jordy de Wijs, Nouha Dicko, Jon Toral, Robbie McKenzie.

Referee: Mr J. Simpson.

Attendance: 12,409 (537 Visiting Supporters).


  • KCOM
  • UOH
  • Umbro
  • MKM
  • Burflex
  • WWF