Hull City

Report: FA Cup Run Comes To An End

16 February 2018
The Tigers were dumped out of this season's Emirates FA Cup as they were thrashed 4-0 in their fifth round tie against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge on Friday night.

All of the goals came in the first half as Chelsea ripped in to get the job done, leaving Nigel Adkins’ men to concentrate on Championship matters for the remainder of the season.

Michael Dawson returned from injury as Adkins made seven changes to his side. Chelsea also made a number of changes but still fielded the likes of Cesc Fabregas, Pedro, Willian and Olivier Giroud.

Any hope of frustrating Chelsea early on disappeared less than two minutes in as the home side took the lead. Willian collected the ball on the edge of the box and wasn’t closed down, allowing the midfielder to curl a shot into the net from 18 yards.

David Marshall got down to save from Fabregas to deny the Blues a quick-fire second, before Jackson Irvine headed Kevin Stewart’s cross over the bar at the other end as the Tigers threatened for the first time.

Giroud fired an effort just over after beating the offside trap and Dawson got a vital touch to deny Pedro as the home side continued to pour forward in the opening 15 minutes.

Marshall had to save well from Pedro after the Chelsea forward had been played in by Willian at the end of a swift break-away, however Pedro made no mistake when he beat the offside trap in the 27th minute as he produced a neat first touch and low finish.

It was soon 3-0 as Stewart lost possession in his own half and Willian danced around Dawson before picking his spot from 20 yards.

Stewart was then booked for an elbow on Gary Cahill while Evandro sent a shot well wide from 30 yards.

There was still time for Chelsea to add a fourth before half time, Giroud finishing neatly at the near post after good work by Emerson.

It was a much better start to the second half from the Tigers. Angus MacDonald just failed to find Dawson with a header back on goal, had he done so Dawson would have had a tap-in.

And then some nice work from Harry Wilson won his side a penalty as he was upended by Fabregas. However, David Meyler saw his spot kick saved by Willy Caballero. If that wasn’t bad enough, the challenge on Wilson left the on-loan winger struggling with a shoulder problem and he had to be replaced by Jon Toral.

Irvine saw a low effort saved after good work down the left from Max Clark, before the Australian then had a shot deflected over the bar after beating Antonio Rudiger to the ball.

Nouha Dicko created a good chance for himself but saw his low strike pushed wide by Caballero, while at the other end Marshall made a good save from Davide Zappacosta and then an even better one to keep Danny Drinkwater’s deflected effort.

Jon Toral and Adama Diomande failed to make the most of a couple of late chances before Willian saw a late hat-trick chance strike the woodwork.


Chelsea: Willy Caballero, Antonio Rudiger, Cesc Fabregas (Kyle Scott 62), Danny Drinkwater, Pedro (Callum Hudson-Odoi 46), Olivier Giroud (Alvaro Morata 70), Davide Zappacosta, Willian, Gary Cahill, Emerson, Ethan Ampadu.

Subs Not Used: Eduardo, Victor Moses, Trevoh Chalobah, Dujon Sterling.

Hull City: David Marshall, David Meyler, Michael Dawson, Angus MacDonald, Max Clark, Kevin Stewart, Evandro, Harry Wilson (Jon Toral 55), Jackson Irvine (Daniel Batty 87), Adama Diomande, Nouha Dicko (Fraizer Campbell 72).

Subs Not Used: Allan McGregor, Kamil Grosicki, Will Keane, Josh Clackstone.

Referee: Mr A. Marriner.