Hull City

Report: Late Goal Denies Tigers At Reading

23 September 2017
The Tigers conceded a late equaliser as they were held to a 1-1 draw by Reading at the Madejski Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

For so long, Fraizer Campbell’s first goal of the season looked to have set Leonid Slutsky’s side on course for a first away league win in more than a year, but Reading’s Jon Dadi Bodvarsson struck three minutes from time to level the scores.

Jackson Irvine made his first start in a Tigers side that showed three changes following last weekend’s draw with Sunderland. David Meyler and Campbell also came into the starting eleven, with Markus Henirksen and Nouha Dicko dropping to the bench and Kamil Grosicki missing out after picking up a knock in training. Michael Dawson made his 100th appearance for the Club.

Chris Gunter made his 200th Royals appearance in a Reading side that included former Hull City players Vito Mannone, Paul McShane and Sone Aluko.

It was a quiet and even opening with Dawson blocking an early Aluko shot at one end and a Seb Larsson free kick being cleared by McShane at the other.

The first real chance of the afternoon came the home side’s way 19 minutes in when Liam Moore was left unmarked to meet a far post corner, but Allan McGregor was there to make a save.

When the Tigers had their first chance of the game, they made no mistake in taking it. Good play from Ola Aina saw him bring the ball inside from the right for Larsson who slipped a lovely ball through for Campbell to produce a low finish into the bottom corner of Mannone’s net.

Reading went close the equalising 11 minutes before the break when a ball in from the left found Aluko at the far post but he could only send an effort wide from a tight angle.

The Tigers began the second half positively and a foul on Aina gave them a free kick in a good position around 22 yards from goal. Larsson took it and rattled the crossbar with a fierce right-footed strike.

Moments later, the visitors had another free kick in an almost identical position when Meyler was taken down. Larsson again took it and this time a deflected strike was grasped by the wrong-footed Mannone just in time as the ball threatened to trickle over the line.

Slutsky made his first change on 65 minutes as Dicko replaced the hard-working Campbell and when Larsson pulled up ten minutes later he was replaced by Jon Toral.

Dicko saw a powerful drive saved by Mannone as the game entered its final ten minutes before a fine run from Fikayo Tomori took him past a whole host of Reading players before a final shot rolled agonisingly across the face of goal and wide.

Just when it looked as though the Tigers might see the job through, they were caught out at the back and Reading substitute Bodvarsson produced a low finish into the bottom corner of the net three minutes from time.

Reading almost won it with the very last kick of the game, McGregor diving to his right to make a vital save as the points were shared.


Reading: Vito Mannone, Chris Gunter (Jon Dadi Bodvarsson 76), Tyler Blackett (Jordan Obita 51), Paul McShane, Liam Moore, Joey van den Berg, Dave Edwards, Liam Kelly (Tiago Ilori 65), Roy Beerens, Garath McCleary, Sone Aluko.

Subs Not Used: Anssi Jaakkola, George Evans, John Swift, Pelle Clement.

Hull City: Allan McGregor, Ola Aina, Fikayo Tomori, Michael Dawson, Michael Hector, Stephen Kingsley, Jarrod Bowen, David Meyler, Jackson Irvine, Sebastian Larsson (Jon Toral 77), Fraizer Campbell (Nouha Dicko 65).

Subs Not Used: David Marshall, Ondrej Mazuch, Adama Diomande, Markus Henriksen, Max Clark.

Referee: Mr S. Martin.

Attendance: 15,749 (713 Visiting Supporters).