Report: No Goals As Tigers Draw With Reading

13 January 2018
The Tigers were held to a 0-0 draw by Reading at the KCOM Stadium on Saturday.

In a game of few chances, it was the home side that went the closest to finding a winner but Jon Toral’s first half effort was ruled out by the referee for a foul on goalkeeper Vito Mannone.

David Meyler made his first start for more than a month as Nigel Adkins made six changes to the side that took to the field against Blackburn Rovers in the FA Cup a week earlier. Allan McGregor, Michael Dawson, Seb Larsson, Jackson Irvine and Nouha Dicko also returned to the starting eleven.

Former Tiger Paul McShane captained a Reading side that also featured another returnee in Mannone, with Sone Aluko amongst the substitutes.

A quiet opening saw both sides struggling to build any early momentum, although Allan McGregor did have to get down by his near post to push Yann Kermorgant’s free kick wide.

A foul on Ola Aina on the edge of the Reading box brought the Tigers their first real chance of the afternoon 15 minutes in. Larsson took the free kick and saw his low effort deflected just wide.

Dicko’s improvised effort from Fikayo Tomori’s cross flew over the bar before the striker dragged a low shot wide from inside the box after some neat build-up play involving Toral and Jarrod Bowen.

Reading lost John Swift and McShane to injury inside the opening half-hour, leading to an early introduction for Aluko.

The Tigers thought they had taken the lead five minutes before half time when Toral slid in to send the ball into the net after Mannone had failed to hold a low Bowen strike, but the referee ruled that Toral had taken the ball out of the goalkeeper’s grasp as the sides headed in level at the break.

Toral had another big chance just two minutes into the second half but failed to get a decent connection on his shot from six yards, while Bowen was denied by Mannone just before the hour after Toral’s cross had found him free at the far post.

McGregor made a vital double save to keep out Liam Moore after the Reading defender was left completely unmarked at a corner, the keeper blocking a header before reacting to push the rebound over the bar.

A double change came with 65 minutes on the clock as Fraizer Campbell and Evandro replaced Dicko and Irvine, and that was followed soon after by the introduction of Markus Henriksen in place of Meyler.

Bowen won the Tigers a free kick right on the edge of the Reading box but Larsson’s shot went just wide.

Although it was the home side that looked the more likely winners late on, there were no further chances as it finished goalless.


Hull City: Allan McGregor, Fikayo Tomori, Michael Dawson, Michael Hector, Ola Aina, David Meyler (Markus Henriksen 71), Sebastian Larsson, Jon Toral, Jackson Irvine (Evandro 65), Jarrod Bowen, Nouha Dicko (Fraizer Campbell 65).

Subs Not Used: David Marshall, Adama Diomande, Max Clark, Kevin Stewart.

Reading: Vito Mannone, Chris Gunter, Joey Van den Berg, Paul McShane (Tiago Ilori 30), Liam Moore, George Evans, John Swift (Sone Aluko 26), Garath McCleary (Leandro Bacuna 77), Modou Barrow, Yann Kermorgant, Omar Richards.

Subs Not Used: Anssi Jaakkola, Jon Dadi Bodvarsson, Tyler Blackett, Liam Kelly.

Referee: Mr D. England.

Attendance: 14,300.


  • SportPesa
  • KCOM
  • UOH
  • Umbro
  • MKM
  • Burflex
  • Humberside Airport
  • KLM
  • WWF
  • SkyBet