Hull City

Report: Tigers Suffer Defeat At Preston

03 February 2018
Despite taking the lead through Jarrod Bowen, the Tigers were beaten 2-1 by Preston North End at Deepdale on Saturday afternoon.

Bowen had struck in the 29th minute, but by half time Nigel Adkins’ men found themselves behind with Alan Browne’s controversial penalty proving to be the match winner.

New signing Angus MacDonald made his debut as Adkins made four changes to his side. MacDonald replaced the injured Ondrej Mazuch, while Michael Hector also came in at centre back in place of Michael Dawson, who was also carrying an injury.

The other two changes saw Max Clark and David Meyler replace Fikayo Tomori and Markus Henriksen. Seb Larsson captained the side. Kamil Grosicki was absent from the bench due to injury, with new boy Harry Wilson amongst the substitutes.

It was a quiet opening to the game although it was the Tigers who created the only chance of the opening ten minutes when a Bowen cross was flicked on to the far post where Michael Hector couldn’t direct a header on target.

Callum Robinson sent a low shot wide from 20 yards for the home side, but it would be the Tigers who took the lead on 29 minutes. Clark’s quick throw-in found Jackson Irvine who played a one-two with Fraizer Campbell before sending a lovely ball out to Bowen out on the right. He looked to put the ball into a dangerous area, but after taking a deflection his ball in found the far corner of the net.

However, the lead lasted just seven minutes as Preston won a corner. Paul Gallagher delivered the ball into the box and Greg Cunningham got up highest to head past Allan McGregor.

Hector made a vital challenge to stop Billy Bodin from giving the home side the lead, and Bodin was then booked for a late challenge on Clark.

Preston took the lead in first half added time from the penalty spot after Bodin went down easily inside the box. Browne stepped up to take it and found the net as the home side went into the break 2-1 up.

Bodin fired wide in a lively start to the second half from Preston with McGregor then having to make a sharp save to keep out Browne’s effort.

Worryingly, there was very little happening at the other end of the field with an over-hit corner from Bowen one of few attacking forays from Adkins’ men.

McGregor stood tall to keep out Robinson’s effort from point-blank range ahead of a double change for the Tigers which saw Wilson and Evandro replace Campbell and Meyler before a third and final substitution saw Will Keane come on for Nouha Dicko.

Keane headed wide from Wilson’s cross soon after coming on before an Evandro shot was blocked in what was the final chance of the game.


Preston North End: Declan Rudd, Greg Cunningham, Ben Pearson (Josh Harrop 76), Tom Clarke, Alan Browne, Paul Gallagher (Daniel Johnson 69), Darnell Fisher, Paul Huntington, Tom Barkhuizen, Callum Robinson (Louis Moult 79), Billy Bodin.

Subs Not Used: Chris Maxwell, Josh Earl, Tommy Spur, Daryl Horgan.

Hull City: Allan McGregor, Ola Aina, Michael Hector, Angus MacDonald, Max Clark, Jarrod Bowen, Sebastian Larsson, David Meyler (Evandro 69), Jackson Irvine, Fraizer Campbell (Harry Wilson 69), Nouha Dicko (Will Keane 74).

Subs: David Marshall, Adama Diomande, Fikayo Tomori, Kevin Stewart.

Referee: Mr S. Martin.

Attendance: 11,605 (601 Visiting Supporters).