Report: Tigers Youngsters Beaten By Doncaster

22 August 2017
They gave it their all, but in the end a very young Tigers' side was knocked out of the Carabao Cup at the second round stage by Doncaster Rovers at the Keepmoat Stadium on Tuesday night.

Level at half time, the youngsters were eventually beaten 2-0 but this will prove a valuable learning experience for all involved.

Leonid Slutsky made wholesale changes to his side with every member of the squad having featured for the Club’s Academy sides. The starting eleven offered six senior debuts and seven club debuts, while Brian Lenihan wore the captain’s armband.

It was a big night for the Tigers’ youngsters and they made a bright enough start, especially Tyler Hamilton who made a couple of promising runs down the left wing, and Dan Batty who saw a fifth-minute 25-yard drive got wide.

Greg Olley saw a deflected cross touched against the bar by Doncaster goalkeeper Marko Marosi, while a nicely whipped in corner from left back Brandon Fleming didn’t get the attacking touch it deserved.

James Weir saw a low shot saved by Marosi, while Doncaster’s first real chance came from a corner on 22 minutes, John Marquis seeing a far post header turned over the bar by Josh Clackstone’s boot.

A short backpass from centre back Robbie McKenzie was almost punished as Marquis latched onto the ball, but goalkeeper Will Mannion was off his line quickly to block, while at the other end a couple of penalty appeals were turned down, first when Olley went down under a challenge and then when a Hamilton shot appeared to be blocked by a Doncaster arm.

It had been a fine first half effort from the boys in black and amber, but all of their good work was almost undone moments before the break when a poor clearance was seized upon by Rodney Kongolo who teed up Marquis inside the box. The striker took aim, but saw his powerful shot come back off the post.

Doncaster began the second half on the front foot, winning a couple of early corners and although they were dealt with it wasn’t long before the home side took the lead. A diagonal ball to the edge of the Tigers’ box was nodded down and played for Alfie May, who saw his low shot beat the dive of Mannion.

Despite a decent response from the away side, it was soon 2-0 to Rovers when Tommy Rowe drilled a low left-footed shot into the far corner of the net.

To their credit, the youngsters stuck at their task and almost got back into the game when Lenihan’s cross to the back post was chested just past his own goal by Craig Alcock.

Matty Blair was inches away from adding a third for Rovers when his free kick went wide via a combination of Mannion and the woodwork, before the keeper had to get down smartly to keep out May’s low drive.

Josh Clackstone picked up a yellow card for a foul on May before Mannion got down well to save from Andy Williams’ shot.

Greg Luer had the Tigers’ best chance of the night, firing wide with his left foot after good approach work from Olley, and although there were no goals to show for their efforts, this was an impressive first step in senior football for a number of players in black and amber.


Doncaster Rovers: Marko Marosi, Matty Blair, Craig Alcock, Joe Wright, Danny Andrew, Ben Whiteman, Rodney Kongolo (Niall Mason 84), Tommy Rowe (Tyler Garratt 74), Issam Ben Khemis, John Marquis (Andy Williams 60), Alfie May.

Subs Not Used: Ian Lawlor, Alfie Beestin, Andy Butler, Liam Mandeville.

Hull City: Will Mannion, Brian Lenihan, Josh Clackstone, Robbie McKenzie, Brandon Fleming (Ellis Barkworth 68), Will Annan, James Weir, Dan Batty, Tyler Hamilton (Ben Hinchliffe 76), Greg Olley, Greg Luer.

Subs Not Used: Charlie Andrew, Lewis Ritson, Tom Dyson, Liam Edwards, James Yates.

Referee: Mr E. Ilderton.

Attendance: 7,139 (2,179 Visiting Supporters).


  • KCOM
  • UOH
  • Umbro
  • MKM
  • Burflex
  • WWF