Hull City

Report: Tough Night For Young U23 Side

21 August 2017
A very young Tigers U23s side was beaten 6-0 by Watford at the Eon Visual Media Stadium in North Ferriby on Monday night.

It was a completely different starting line up from the one which started the season at Queens Park Rangers. It was in fact the same side that started the U18s’ win at Coventry City just two days earlier.

Watford were on the front foot from the start and Michael Folivi fired a good chance wide before Dion Pereira’s close range header saw Harrison Foulkes produce a fine save.

The opening goal came in the 17th minute when the Tigers conceded possession in their own half and Alex Jakubiak raced clear to round Foulkes and fire into an empty net from a narrow angle.

Foulkes then pulled off a good save to tip away Max Ryan’s header from a free kick but Watford re-cycled the ball and Joy Mukena headed over from a good position.

A great run from Jakubiak created a chance for Folivi but he was denied by a good block from Foulkes. The visitors doubled their lead in the 32nd minute when Carl Stewart’s pass sent Folivi clear and he placed a left foot strike into the bottom corner of the net.

Billy Chadwick had the first shot on target for the Tigers but his long range effort was comfortably held by Hornets keeper Nathan Gartside before Josh Thacker’s pass found Ahmed Salam but he was just unable to divert the ball past the Watford keeper.

Watford increased their lead within two minutes of the re-start but Foulkes would have been disappointed that he was unable to keep an Ashley Charles free kick out of his net.

The Hornets were four goals to the good by the 50th minute when Folivi was sent through the left channel and he sent a right foot shot across Foulkes and in at the far post.

Watford’s greater experience continued to tell and Foulkes made a good save low to his right to keep out Harvey Bradbury’s low right foot shot.

Matthew Nicholls and Keane Lewis-Potter combined down the Tigers right to create a chance for Elliot Holmes but his low strike was saved by Gartside.

The Hornets went five up in the 68th minute when Pereira rounded Foulkes and tapped into an empty net and the half dozen was brought up in the 75th minute with David Sesay’s shot taking a deflection on its way past Foulkes.

A long range effort from Salam was off target and Nicholls and Daniel Hawkins were both unlucky to see good strikes flash narrowly past the post as the young Tigers unsuccessfully sought a late consolation goal.


Hull City: Harrison Foulkes, Matthew Nicholls, Matty Jacob, Max Sheaf, Josh Thacker, Jacob Greaves, Keane Lewis-Potter (Daniel Hawkins 73), Billy Chadwick (Will Taylor 68), Mason Wilson-Rhiney (Charlie Dunkerley 54), Elliot Holmes, Ahmed Salam.

Subs Not Used: Charlie Andrew, Andrew Smith.

Watford: Nathan Gartside, Andrew Eleftheriou (Louis Rodgers 48), David Sesay, Charlie Rowan, Joy Mukena (Marian Huja 56), Max Ryan, Dion Pereira, Ashley Charles, Alex Jakubiak (Harvey Bradbury 50), Michael Folivi, Carl Stewart.

Sub Not Used: James Hoskins.