Hull City

Stoke City 5-1 Hull City: Report

07 March 2020
Hull City remain just two points above the Sky Bet Championship’s drop zone after a heavy 5-1 defeat at Stoke City on Saturday.

The game was effectively over inside the opening 18 minutes as Stoke raced into a 3-0 lead before adding a fourth just after half time. Leonardo Da Silva Lopes scored a consolation in the final 20 minutes, but Stoke had the final say with a fifth goal shortly before full time.

There was just the one change to Grant McCann’s starting line-up following the defeat to Leeds United the previous weekend as Jackson Irvine came back into the eleven at the expense of George Honeyman who dropped to the bench. Keane Lewis-Potter returned to the squad to take a place amongst the substitutes. Stoke had four former Tigers on show with James Chester, Nick Powell, Tom Ince and Sam Clucas all starting for the Potters.

Stoke went on the attack early with Clucas firing high over the bar after being set up by Powell before Ince did the same after showing some neat footwork inside the box.

Kevin Stewart picked up a seventh-minute yellow card for pulling back Joe Allen just outside the centre circle before the opening goal arrived with 11 minutes played as Allen delivered to the back post where Powell headed in.

It went from bad to worse as Stoke doubled their lead from the penalty spot in the 16th minute. Matthew Pennington handed as a corner came into the box and Tyrese Campbell converted from 12 yards.

It was three inside 18 minutes as Clucas took advantage of some poor defending to find the top corner and it should have been four midway through the half but Powell dinked an effort wide.

The visitors were being overwhelmed and George Long had to turn a Clucas shot wide before an enforced change saw Daniel Batty replace Stewart who seemed to have taken a blow to the head.

Stoke captain Allen was stretchered from the field following a challenge with Batty at the end of the half, while the Tigers also made a change at the interval as Lewis-Potter replaced Mallik Wilks.

The home side needed less than five minutes of the second half to add a fourth goal and it was Clucas who grabbed his second of the afternoon as he headed in after Jordan Thompson’s free kick had been nodded to the back stick.

A final change saw Honeyman replace Martin Samuelsen before the Tigers finally had an attempt at goal as Josh Magennis headed over from Callum Elder’s cross.

Da Silva pulled a goal back 17 minutes from time with a cool finish from Elder’s low cross, and the goal scorer also picked up a booking for a foul on Powell shortly after.

Stoke stepped it up to add a fifth four minutes from time as Powell made it a double for him on the afternoon with a smart near-post finish to round off a painful afternoon.

Stoke City: Jack Butland; Tommy Smith, Danny Batth, James Chester, Bruno Martins Indi; Joe Allen (Tashan Oakley-Boothe 46), Jordan Thompson Nick Powell (Lee Gregory 88); Tom Ince, Sam Clucas, Tyrese Campbell (Sam Vokes 88).

Subs Not Used: Adam Davies, Tom Edwards, Ryan Shawcross, Nathan Collins.

Hull City: George Long; Robbie McKenzie, Matthew Pennington, Sean McLoughlin, Callum Elder; Kevin Stewart (Daniel Batty 41), Leonardo Da Silva Lopes, Jackson Irvine; Mallik Wilks (Keane Lewis-Potter 46), Martin Samuelsen (George Honeyman 58), Josh Magennis.

Subs Not Used: Matt Ingram, Ryan Tafazolli, Marcus Maddison, Norbert Balogh.

Referee: Mr T. Robinson.

Attendance: 23,126 (513 Visiting Supporters).