Hull City

U23s Bag First Win Of The Season

12 September 2017

First half goals from Tom Powell and Tyler Hamilton helped the Tigers’ U23s record their first win of the season with a 2-1 victory over Cardiff City at the Cardiff City Stadium on Monday night.

Jon Beale made three changes to the side that drew with Charlton Athletic a week earlier. James Yates replaced Brian Lenihan at right back, Ben Hinchliffe came in for James Weir and Greg Luer’s place up front was taken by Powell.

The Tigers started brightly with Robbie McKenzie heading wide from a Brandon Fleming corner before they took the lead in just the 11th minute. Hinchliffe broke down the left and although his low cross was intercepted the loose ball was pounced on by Powell who drilled a right foot shot low past Cardiff keeper Oliver Byrne.

The Bluebirds’ only shot on target in the first half came from Jahvan Davidson-Miller but it was comfortably saved by Callum Burton. A surging run from Hamilton created a chance for Powell but his shot was half blocked and ran through to the keeper. Fleming and Hinchliffe combined superbly down the Tigers’ left but the latter’s left foot strike flashed narrowly wide of the far post.

The Tigers doubled their lead in the 35th minute when Cardiff failed to clear Dan Batty’s free kick and Hamilton volleyed home from close range.

Another fine move down the left almost saw Beale’s side add to their lead just before the break with Will Annan and Hinchliffe sending Fleming into the box but his right foot shot was deflected into the keeper’s arms.

Burton had relatively little to do in the opening period but he was forced into a good save soon after the break. Jamie Veale’s free kick was heading for the bottom corner until the intervention by the goalkeeper.

The Tigers enjoyed a lot of possession in the first half but found the going much tougher in the second period, but Annan’s pass created a chance for Hinchliffe who fired a left foot shot across goal and wide of the far post.

Burton made comfortable saves from Davidson-Miller and Mark Harris but Cardiff should have pulled a goal back when Cameron Coxe’s cross from the right found Davidson-Miller free in the box but he was unable to get his header on target.

Greg Olley drilled a right foot shot wide from the edge of the box and substitute Liam Edwards saw his effort deflected for a corner as the Tigers sought to put the game to bed.

Harris did well on the Cardiff left and Burton had to be alert to save at his near post. Tom Dyson’s shot was easily saved by Byrne and Olley put the ball in the back of the net from Batty’s pass only to be ruled offside.

The Tigers had looked pretty comfortable for most of the game but Cardiff had renewed hope when they reduced the deficit in the 82nd minute. The ball was pulled back from the right and Harris fired a right foot shot past Burton from six yards.

Sion Spence fired narrowly wide for the hosts after neat footwork on the edge of the box and Harris almost produced a carbon copy of his goal but Burton saved at his near post.

The Tigers almost added to their lead in the closing minutes when Cardiff appeared to stop as they expected a free kick to be awarded but the referee allowed play to continue and Olley’s lobbed effort from 40 yards bounced wide of the post.


Cardiff City: Oliver Byrne, Tyrone Duffus, Rhys Abrruzzese, Jamie Veale, Ciaron Brown, Connor Young (Ryan Reynolds 46), Callum Paterson (Sion Spence 46), James Waite, Jahvan Davidson-Miller, Mark Harris, Cameron Coxe.

Subs Not Used: Jack Bodenham, Warren Burwood, Thomas Gaydu.

Hull City: Callum Burton, James Yates, Brandon Fleming, Dan Batty, Robbie McKenzie, Josh Clackstone, Tyler Hamilton, Greg Olley, Tom Powell (Liam Edwards 68), Will Annan (Tom Dyson 73), Ben Hinchliffe.

Subs Not Used: Charlie Andrew, Ellis Barkworth, Lewis Ritson.