Hull City

U23s Beaten By Nottingham Forest

04 December 2017
The Tigers' Under-23s suffered a fourth successive defeat when they were beaten 4-2 by Nottingham Forest at Bishop Burton on Monday afternoon.

Jon Beale made two changes to the side that lost to Sunderland in the Premier League Cup. Callum Burton has returned from his loan spell at Salford and so took over in goal from Charlie Andrew. Up front trialist Deon Moore was given a chance to impress with Tom Powell dropping to the bench.

Ben Hinchliffe had the first chance of the game but fired a right foot shot from the edge of the box wide of the post before Lewis Ritson met a Brandon Fleming corner but couldn’t get his header on target.

The Tigers took the lead in the 18th minute when Moore had a shot from an acute angle blocked by Forest keeper Dimitar Evtimov. The ball fell to Tyler Hamilton on the edge of the box and his right foot strike found the back of the net via a deflection off Forest defender Adam Crookes.

Toby Edser fired a left foot shot over for the visitors but they drew level in the 28th minute. Arron Smith did well on the right and squared the ball to Virgil Gomis and his right foot shot beat Burton from just inside the box.

Gomis then fired another shot wide whilst at the other end Greg Olley was off target with a free kick. Hinchliffe netted from a Hamilton pass but the offside flag ruled the goal out.

Just before the break Ritson headed wide from a Dan Batty corner.

The Tigers had a great chance to retake the lead early in the second period but Ritson volleyed wide at the far post from Fleming’s corner.

Burton then easily saved from Gomis and Moore fired into the side-netting for the Tigers.

Evtimov comfortably saved an Olley effort but the Forest keeper was beaten in the 55th minute as the home side restored their lead. Batty’s corner fell for Hinchliffe to fire in from close range.

Lewis Walters shot high and wide for Forest but they levelled for a second time in the 63rd minute. Burton pushed away a Gomis strike but Arvin Appiah, who had only been on the pitch for two minutes, was first to the rebound to net.

The visitors took the lead for the first time in the 70th minute when Appiah won possession on the left and crossed for Edser to sweep a left foot shot into the bottom corner of the net.

Forest then secured the three points in the 82nd minute when Gomis raced onto a long ball, held off a challenge from Ritson and fired a right foot shot past Burton.

The Tigers could have reduced the deficit before the end when Batty’s corner was headed on by Ritson but Olley’s effort was blocked at the far post.


Hull City: Callum Burton, James Yates (Ellis Barkworth 74), Brandon Fleming, Dan Batty, Lewis Ritson, Robbie McKenzie, Tyler Hamilton (Liam Edwards 61), Billy Chadwick, Deon Moore, Greg Olley, Ben Hinchliffe.

Subs Not Used: Harrison Foulkes, Tom Powell, Josh Thacker.

Nottingham Forest: Dimitar Evtimov, Jordan Lawrence-Gabriel, Danny Preston, Adam Crookes, Anel Ahmedhodzic, Elvis Otim (Keiran Hayes 77), Arron Smith (Jayden Richardson 61), Jake Taylor, Virgil Gomis, Toby Edser, Lewis Walters (Arvin Appiah 61).

Subs Not Used: Rudolph Soloha, Joe Coveney.