Hull City

U23s Held By Burnley

25 September 2017
The Tigers' Under-23s extended their unbeaten run to four games with a goalless draw against Burnley at North Ferriby on Monday night.

Jon Beale’s side were the better of the two teams on the night but couldn’t make their dominance count as Clarets keeper Anders Lindegaard made a number of saves to deny the Tigers and prevent them from registering a third successive Professional Development League win.

Adam Curry made his first appearance of the season after recovering from a long-term injury which resulted in Robbie McKenzie moving forward into midfield to replace James Weir. Will Annan missed the game after picking up an injury in training and was replaced in the starting line-up. They were the only two changes to the side that beat Coventry City in the previous game.

The Tigers had a couple of early penalty claims, the first coming when Greg Luer appeared to be impeded as he attempted to round Lindegaard but he stayed on his feet rather than go to ground and the chance was gone. Tyler Hamilton then appeared to be brought down as he raced into the box but again the referee was unimpressed by the penalty claims.

Callum Burton made a good save to tip over Harry Limb’s long-range strike as Burnley threatened for the first time in the game.

Curry couldn’t get his header on target when he met a Dan Batty free-kick but the centre-back was then booked as he brought down Limb just outside the Tigers’ box. Dwight McNeil curled the resulting free-kick just wide of the post.

Hamilton went close for the Tigers when he met Brandon Fleming’s low cross from the left but his shot was pushed away by Lindegaard at the base of his near post.

Curry was once again a threat in the Burnley box when he met Batty’s corner only for his header to flash wide of the post. Lindegaard again came to the visitors’ rescue when he blocked Luer’s shot after the Burnley defence failed to deal with Greg Olley’s through ball.

Olley was then the next to be denied when Lindegaard gathered his shot at the second attempt, whilst at the other end Limb met Ali Koiki’s low cross at the near post but sent his effort over the crossbar.

A good move from the Tigers involving Fleming, Hinchliffe and Hamilton ended with Olley’s shot being saved by Lindegaard before a great pass from McKenzie found Hamilton on the left and he cut inside and fired a right foot shot inches over the crossbar.

Jon Beale made his first change of the evening during the interval with Tom Dyson coming on for Curry, with McKenzie dropping back into defence alongside Josh Clackstone.

The Tigers upped the tempo after the break and created a chance within a minute of the re-start when Hamilton and James Yates combined down the right and the full back’s cross found Luer who fired wide of the near post.

However, further chances were few and far between in the second half although the best two did fall the way of the Tigers. A great run from Hamilton created a chance for Luer but he fired wide of the near post before Olley and Luer combined well to make a chance for substitute Liam Edwards but he was denied by a good challenge from a Burnley defender.

The visitors’ only real chance of the second half fell to Tinashe Chakwana but his low strike from the edge of the box was just wide although Burton appeared to have it covered.

The Tigers had the final opportunity to break the deadlock when Edwards cut the ball back to Batty on the edge of the box but his low drive was held by Lindegaard.

Hull City: Callum Burton, James Yates, Brandon Fleming, Robbie McKenzie, Josh Clackstone, Adam Curry (Tom Dyson 46), Tyler Hamilton, Dan Batty, Greg Luer, Greg Olley, Ben Hinchliffe (Liam Edwards 75).
Subs Not Used: Charlie Andrew, Ellis Barkworth, Tom Powell.

Burnley: Anders Lindegaard, Arlen Birch, Ali Koiki, Mark Howarth (Jamie Thomas 76), Harry Flowers, Oliver Younger, Tunde Bayode (Khius Metz 58), Fredrik Ulvestad, Harry Limb, Tinashe Chakwana, Dwight McNeil (Rahis Nabi 76).
Subs Not Used: Aiden Stone, Christian N’Guessan.